Freshmen lead Falcons

Two freshmen accounted for the Falcons’ two best finishes at the All-Ohio Championships this weekend.

Tatijana Jacobson placed second in the high jump for BG’s top finish of the meet. Her mark of 5’7″ was a personal best.

Jeanette Pettigrew finished third in the 100 meter dash with a time of 12.24.

BG placed ninth in the 16-team field and fifth out of five Mid-American Conference schools.

The Falcons recorded points in eight of the 21 events.

Kent State, the 2010 MAC Indoor champion, won the meet with 151 points, narrowly edging Akron by nine.

“We had some very positive performances this weekend, but we know there are several other areas that we need to capitalize on in order to reach our potential as a team,” said coach Cami Wells.

The Falcons scored 31 of their 33 points and set eight personal records Saturday, including three in the 1,500 meter run.

Brittani McNeal scored 10 points in three different events.

She placed eighth in the 200 meter dash for one point and earned the other nine as part of the 4×100 and 4×400 meter relay teams.

The Falcons saw their first glimpse of championship-level competition in the outdoor season.

This meet compares best to the MAC Championships of any meet on the schedule.

“This was the best competition we have seen to this point outdoor season, and I felt the majority of the team stepped up to the level of competition and made positive progress this weekend,” Wells said.

“We knew the team competition would be strong and that we would need to have everyone competing at their best to have the best team finish we were capable of achieving.”

The Falcons compete next Friday and Saturday at the Hillsdale Relays in Hillsdale, Mich.