Students should study up for a healthy lifestyle

While some freshmen are cringing at the thought of gaining the infamous “freshman 15,” freshman Allie Gehres is confident she can conquer the stereotype and improve her physical health while attending the University.

“For me, [college had] the opposite effect because I made the choice to work out when I can,” she said. “I go to the Rec between four to five times a week and work out at least 40 minutes to an hour depending on my schedule for the day.”

Gehres said she is making the decision to improve her health with exercise and she believes, in general, most University students are physically fit.

“You have to walk everywhere if you don’t have a car, or even to get to class,” she said.

Associate Director of Recreation and Wellness Cathy Swick said if a student begins and maintains a physically active lifestyle they can prevent weight gain during college, as well as a myriad of other chronic health concerns associated with the health-related myths of the college lifestyle.

According to Swick, the American College of Sports Medicine recommends students be physically active for a half-hour daily to maintain health, combining cardiovascular, strength and flexibility exercises.

“Time management is a challenge many students face in college. However, by setting aside a minimum of 30 minutes daily to devote to their health and well-being, students will feel better physically and help stay mentally sharp,” Swick said.

Sophomore Melissa Snively said she thinks it may be difficult for some University students to find time for exercise while balancing classes, work and student organizations, but she has made the necessary sacrifices to work out on the elliptical machines at the Student Recreation Center at least three days per week.

“I usually work out at night since I have classes during the day and that’s the only way I fit exercising into my schedule,” Snively said. “You have to be motivated. If you’re not, that’s when it gets difficult. I probably don’t get as much sleep on the weekends as most college students do, but it’s something that I choose to give up in order to work out and get my school work done.”

The Recreation and Wellness department tracks approximately 1,500 students using the Rec center on a daily basis, Swick said, which is a sign that many University students are getting adequate exercise. For students who wish to further their physical health, Swick recommended activities like intramurals, sports clubs, ice skating, outdoor trips, swimming and personal training, all provided by the Recreation and Wellness department.

“In the group exercise program we currently offer yoga, pilates … tai chi, turbokick and ab-solute 30 classes led by certified college students,” she said. “[Or while] on campus, take the stairs, walk to class and participate in activities where you are physically moving.”

Lynn Darby, interim director of the School of Human Movement, Sports and Leisure Studies, said students need to explore the opportunities on campus and take advantage of them, because there is much available to them that they are probably unaware of.

“Then, from my experience, it’s actually doing it and being motivated to stick with it,” Darby said. “In college, people typically think of academics and not physical activity. And now that we know where that’s gotten us, we need to get everyone more active.”

Darby said the University offers many general physical education classes (nicknamed “PEG” classes) for students, including bowling, hockey and golf. These classes count toward one academic credit and include instruction in physical activity.

“I think these should be a part of the undergraduate experience,” Darby said, “and I tell my students that the [other] things they get on campus for free, the people in the general public are paying hundreds of dollars for. They need to take a break from studying to exercise their bodies, as well as their minds.”