Council to address CUE concerns

The University’s plan to restructure undergraduate education will yet again be a topic of discussion at an Undergraduate Council meeting.

Connecting the Undergraduate Education, or CUE, is the University’s proposed revision to the general education curriculum. CUE will be discussed and potentially voted upon at Wednesday’s meeting at 1:30 p.m. in Union 308.

Periodic voting by the Undergraduate Council is part of a 5-year implementation schedule detailed on the CUE website.

At the Nov. 17 meeting, the Undergraduate Council made a motion to end discussion about CUE and table it for a future meeting, said Tim Messer-Kruse, chair of Undergraduate Council.

“At the last meeting, we discussed for well over an hour about an array of issues and concerns, so it’s hard to separate what was the most important one,” he said. “The council is looking at it from all perspectives and angles, though, and sometimes likes to request more information on various points until it’s satisfied.”

Wednesday, the council will consider “un-tabling” the CUE proposal to open it for more discussion and “most likely a vote,” Messer-Kruse said.

“It’s been a healthy, constructive process, and I’m proud of my colleagues for the careful consideration they’re giving this,” he said. “They’re focusing on the issues, which is a helpful part of the process. That’s why the academic charter has various steps, to ensure we give attention to all of the important details.”

The greatest concern faculty members have expressed concerning CUE is its time line for implementation, said Undergraduate Student Government President Kevin Basch, undergraduate student representative for the implementation committee.

Students entering the University in fall 2011 will be the first to experience the new courses, according to the implementation schedule.

“From what I’ve heard, nobody has been disagreeing with the spirit of the curriculum,” Basch said. “But many faculty members are saying to drastically overhaul the way we teach general education courses, they need more time.”

Outside of Undergraduate Council meetings, faculty committee leaders have also expressed concerns about CUE.

Kris Blair, Faculty Senate chair, said the Senate provides an outlet for faculty members to state their opinions, and several have expressed concerns about CUE’s time line.

“The Senate represents a range of faculty perspectives,” she said. “There may be some faculty in favor of CUE and others who may be concerned with the timing. Either way, we try to foster dialogue to ensure that appropriate charter review processes for curricular processes like CUE are followed.”

This is an exchange David Jackson, Faculty Association president, said he hopes will continue throughout the implementation process.

Jackson said the FA doesn’t have a position on the quality of the proposed program or its changes, but he hopes faculty members will have a voice. The newly-formed faculty union, as well committees such as Undergraduate Council, Faculty Senate and Committee on Academic Affairs, should play central role during implementation, he said.

“We’re interested in making sure those committees have their proper role in determining such a significant curriculum change at BGSU,” Jackson said. “[The FA] is also very interested in the effect that the full implementation of CUE would have on workload.”

Neal Jesse, Implementation Committee chair, said the committee is eager to address the Undergraduate Council’s concerns and would be “happy to implement whatever good ideas come along.”

The top concerns Jesse said he has heard are ensuring the quality of the program, allocating resources and applying a reasonable time line.

“No matter what happens Wednesday, I wouldn’t say it’s the end of CUE,” he said. “We’re going to still talk about revising it and keep moving forward, to try to find a way to put into place a revised and good general education program.”