Swim team makes splash in Youngstown

The BG swim team got back on the winning track as it defeated Youngstown State Saturday at Beeghly Natatorium.

Coming off a loss, it was up in the air to see how the team would respond, but after this meet, the Falcons showed some determination and grit to get the win on the road.

The Falcons won 10 of the day’s 14 events.

The win started fast as the 400-yard medley relay team broke the former record at Beeghly Natatorium by nearly two seconds.

The team that set the record mark included Emily Bennet, Alexis Kain, Vicky Yu and Brittany Szekely. BG beat the closest Youngstown State team by over 25 seconds.

Bennet swept the backstroke events in the 100 and the 200-yard events.

In the 100-yard backstroke, she was just one second off the record pace. No Youngstown State swimmer was closer than three seconds to Bennet in either event.

Yu also had a very successful day, winning all four of the events she swam in.

She took part in the 400 medley relay team, won the individual 100 and 200 freestyle events and the 200 individual medley as well.

In the 200 individual medley, she led an attack by the Falcons that resulted in taking the top three spots and four of the top five in the race.

Yu finished over seven seconds ahead of the nearest Penguin racer.

Four other Falcon swimmers won events in the dual meet.

Amanda Rom won the 100 breaststroke, Sarah Burston won the 200 butterfly and Jen Beatty and Megan Bomicino swept the distance events, with Beatty winning the 500 freestyle and Bomicino winning the 1000 freestyle.

Coach Petra Martin was satisfied with what she saw from her team on the road.

“We were able to switch people around to race different events and see who to race in each event going farther in the season,” Martin said. “We raced hard, did a great job racing different events than they were used to, and to race tough even when we are in the middle of an intense two-week training period was awesome.”

The Falcons (2-1, 1-1 Mid-American Conference) take a break from the dual meets and will prepare for the Eastern Michigan Invitational December 3 and 4.