Making a splash

%26%23160%3B

The Falcon swim team kicked off its season with a bang Friday with a successful outing at the Tom Stubbs Relays.

The Petra Martin era is well underway as the Falcons won six out of the 10 relays at the University’s Cooper Pool.

Carrie Enright, Brittany Szekely, Sarah Reinink, and Emily Bennet set a Tom Stubbs Relays record while winning the 200 freestyle. The record-breaking time they posted was 1:36.55, which was a full two seconds faster than the previous record.

All the schools that swam had two teams in the relay and the Falcons’ second team finished fourth.

Another first place finishes was in the 400 freestyle, where the team nearly broke another record.

The team that finished the event with a time of 3:33.34 consisted of Szekely, Reinink, Bennet, and Vicky Yu. Alexis Kain, Bennet, Yu and Szekely also won the 200 yard medley with a time of 1:47.05, which again was close to record breaking.

The rest of the events that the team won included the 300 yard breaststroke, 400 yard medley relay and the 400 yard individual medley relay.

Martin has only been with the team for a little over two weeks and was pleased with the way the team performed.

“The team did great for this time in the year and I could see they have implemented what we’ve been doing over the past few weeks,” Martin said.

The team of Sarah Burston, Liz Harper and Yu finished one-half second behind the winning Akron team in the 300 yard butterfly event. In the event, the Falcons had two of the top three relay teams.

With all the success in the relays, Martin said that there is always room for improvement.

“We need better relay starts, get off the blocks much quicker, and need to get faster with our turns,” she said. “Overall our drive and determination was great and we need to just keep building on that.”

The Falcons will have two weeks of practice before they open conference action against Akron Saturday Oct. 30 at Cooper Pool.