Martin introduced as Falcons’ new swim coach

The search for a new head women’s swimming coach is over.

The athletic department found the right fit for the future of the swimming program with the hiring of Petra Martin earlier this week. Martin has extensive experience as a swimmer and coach, including competing for the Czech National Swim Team for eight years and four years as a collegiate assistant coach.

The University’s Director of Athletics, Greg Christopher, said Petra really stood out during the search for a new head coach.

“We are excited to have Petra on board and welcome her to the Bowling Green family,” Christopher said. “She was the one candidate that really stood out about passion, the hunger and the desire to build a championship-caliber program.”

Petra was formerly an assistant coach at George Mason University and had much success there.

She has a coaching philosophy that includes looking at everything with optimism and taking a glass half -full approach.

“I can’t even describe the amount of excitement I have for this program,” Martin said. “I can sense support for the program within the athletic department and from the University.”

The vision for the program is to bring more intensity and for the ladies to take ownership of the team and do things correctly, according to Martin.

“My coaching style is more quality over quantity, and I like for my athletes to understand why we do things and give them more control, make them feel like they are involved,” Martin said. “Also to use their heads with whatever we are doing. During the season there will be a lot of thinking and [for the ladies to] use their mind during workouts.”

Lesley Irvine, the Associate Athletic Director/Senior Woman Administrator, also has optimism with the direction the program is going in.

“[Martin] has high aspirations for this swimming program and a plan to achieve many things in her time here,” Irvine said. “Petra is highly regarded as one of the top rising stars in the swimming world, and we know she will have success here.”