University welcomes new dean of the College of Education and Human Development

Dr. William Bradley Colwell has blended a passion for law and education to create a successful career that he plans to continue at the University.

Colwell begins his new position as the Dean of the College of Education and Human Development on July 19. He will also be a full professor with tenure in the School of Leadership and Policy Studies.

Colwell comes from Southern Illinois University Carbondale, where he served as Associate Dean for Academic and Student Affairs in the College of Education and Human Services as well as a full professor in the Department of Educational Administration and Higher Education.

Colwell said the “tremendous” reputation of the College of Education on a state and national scale was a factor in his decision to come to the University.

“After the interview process, I knew BG was the place for me,” Colwell said. “Having the opportunity to lead this college is a dream come true.”

Dr. Randy J. Dunn, president of Murray State University in Kentucky and former SIU colleague of Colwell, said Colwell has dedication for his work responsibilities and the people around him, and that he will bring his “good judgment” and “empathy” with him.

“He will be a great representative of BGSU to schools in the state of Ohio,” Dunn said. “He will be a strong advocate for the college and the programs.”

Colwell has an extensive background in education and law, completing his law degree and Master’s of Education jointly at the University of Illinois.

Colwell said that he has had a lifelong appreciation for both fields, with his father serving 49 years as a high school teacher and his uncle as a school superintendent.

“Growing up in that environment gave me a real appreciation for educators,” Colwell said. “I should have known it would be just a matter of time before I got into education, too.”

Colwell mentioned he always had the desire to become a lawyer, and served in several leadership capacities during his high school and post-secondary education.

“[I] thought that having a legal background would help me in pursuing my career goals,” Colwell said. “My family would certainly tell you that I always tried to sharpen my debate skills, even as a child.”

Colwell has blended his backgrounds throughout his career, having represented more than 125 Illinois school districts during his tenure as an Attorney at Law.

Dunn believes these backgrounds will be beneficial to the University.

“One of his real strengths will be his connections to statewide practitioners of education,” Dunn said. “He won’t just be a presence on the campus, he will be a presence in Ohio schools as well.”

As an educator, Colwell has conducted extensive research on educational law and administration, with numerous publications in scholarly journals and books.

Colwell taught graduate courses in educational administration, which includes school law, professional negotiations and politics of education as classes.

Dunn said that Colwell maintained high standards in his classroom, but did everything he could to help students find success.

Colwell said that he tries to challenge his students to think critically by creating discussion questions and preparing extensively for each session, as well as spending a great deal of time providing written feedback on his students’ assignments.

While Colwell enjoys teaching, he said he does not believe that he will initially have time for it when he begins at the University.

“Even though I love the classroom, the deanship is a huge undertaking,” Colwell said. “I want to give it my complete attention.”