Website allows users to showcase talents, make extra cash

Fiverr.com offers the opportunity to buy and sell any service imaginable for the price of five dollars. Sellers can keep $4 while the website keeps $1.

Services, called “gigs” on the site, range from painting watercolor pictures from supplied photographs to people singing “Happy Birthday” to someone over the phone in Marilyn Monroe’s voice.

Fiverr is just one site that offers low priced opportunities for services. Others include TenBux.com, virtually the same with $10 gigs added to the mix, and ClickFive.net, which focuses on $5 Internet marketing through Facebook, YouTube and Twitter.

Based on her first impression, Popular Culture professor Montana Miller said that the site’s diverse advertisements could create new consumer needs overnight just by giving people ideas they had never thought of.

Miller said the low price creates possibilities for people to come up with small ideas that can eventually turn into “big moneymakers” if they catch on.

“[The site] gives an individual the tools to come up with an idea and implement it instantly,” Miller said.

University senior Nick Rush is implementing two of his ideas on Fiverr, allowing opportunities for people to get their names out around campus.

Rush, who works for the University’s recording services at the College of Musical Arts with hopes to become a recording engineer, currently offers two gigs that aid in giving people business exposure.

Rush’s first gig ties directly into his line of work, He will review people’s music on “multiple sound systems” in order to give a “detailed, honest opinion” of aspiring musical artists.

“I thought [about] where I was a lot of the time and what I like to do,” Rush said. “I enjoy recording music and I have access to the studio.”

Rush mentioned he first heard about the website from his boss, who in turn has performed professional voice-overs as a gig.

Rush’s second gig allows customers to e-mail him fliers, and he will print three of them out and post them in different locations around the campus.

Rush believes the gig is convenient for his own work and school schedule.

“I’m always on the BGSU campus, so it would be easy to print up the fliers and post them up while I’m walking to work,” Rush said. “It’s really just things that I do that are not going to take a whole lot of time.”

Both Rush and his boss have received offers from sellers, though Rush decided to delay his service until the fall semester begins.

“Being the nice person that I am, I tell [buyers] that college is out right now,” Rush said. “There’s not nearly as many people on campus to see [the fliers].”

Aside from business, Rush said that he simply enjoys looking at the gigs listed on the site.

“There’s a lot of weird stuff on [Fiverr],” Rush said. “It’s just fun to go on and see what people do for five bucks and how you can benefit from that.”

Rush does not believe the site to be currently popular with University students, but said he would not be surprised to see a spike in its appeal.

“It’s still an underground site, really,” Rush said. “I remember Twitter when it wasn’t anything at all … so I’m sure with the right exposure Fiverr and even TenBux will really explode because of the unique stuff you can get off of there.”

Miller also expressed optimism for the site’s future and said the site will appeal to people who enjoy self-employment.

“What’s beautiful about it is you are your own boss,” Miller said. “You may still be making minimum wage, but you are in charge.”

This idea of freedom certainly appeals to Rush.

“If you like drawing, offer to draw for someone,” Rush said. “There’s nothing better than getting paid for doing something you want to do anyway.”