Faculty Association reaches out for support in unionization vote efforts

Before the vote for a possible faculty union, Faculty Association members will try to rally some last minute support despite criticism from University administration.

With a looming voting window from Sept. 28 through Oct. 12, the FA held a final open chapter meeting in the Union Tuesday evening to discuss the case for a union and how to address upcoming challenges.

President David Jackson said the FA will “stay on its own message” and won’t be “stuck in the past.”

“We need to give people hope and explain why collective bargaining is the best option for the future,” he said. “We won’t get caught up in the ‘he said, she said’ issues.”

But Jackson also said part of election preparation is taking the time to reply to messages from administrators directed at faculty members and employees through various electronic media.

The most recent message was posted on the University’s website Tuesday by Ken Borland, senior vice president for academic affairs and provost. It highlights a series of forums Borland will host to address concerns and answer questions related to a possible union.

In the message, Borland admits he has been sharing his views about a union “over the last several months through e-mail.”

Jackson said the FA’s approach is slightly different.

“We will continue to make the argument in favor of collective bargaining in every medium possible,” Jackson said. “But we also want to spend time listening to faculty members, rather than speaking.”

FA secretary Candace Archer said one of the most significant projects the FA has prioritized are office visits with full-time faculty members across campus — with an “ambitious goal” of reaching out to all faculty members by election time.

“We really need to hear everyone’s opinion,” she said. “Even if someone may disagree with collective bargaining, after talking with them, I realize that many of us still agree about a lot of things.”

Since October 2009, more than 600 of about 815 full-time faculty members have been reached, Archer said, and more than half of those office visits took place after May.

“It’s all about community, ” she said. “I’ve met so many faculty members through my office visits, and after reaching out, I’ve never felt more connected to them and this campus.”

Karen Craigo, director of communications for the FA, said the FA is also planning many events for the weeks prior to the election. These include a chapter meeting at Firelands campus in Huron, Ohio, a tailgating booth at the football home opener and a Black Swamp Arts Festival open house called “Chomp at the Swamp.”

“We wanted to provide social events with a relaxed atmosphere where people can stop by, talk and ask us questions,” Craigo said. “We’re also planning on having a ballot party, where faculty can all come together in a group during the election window and take our ballots to the mailbox as a group.”

Despite administrative opposition, FA members are remaining optimistic for the upcoming election, she said.

“We want to be positive and we consider our message to be positive,” Craigo said. “We’d like a voice and that’s what collective bargaining provides more than anything else.”