Legal Affairs VP plans to enhance awareness of University legislature

The University appointed general counsel Sean FitzGerald to vice president of legal affairs and government relations at the onset of its fiscal year.

In his new role, FitzGerald additionally directs the Office of Equity and Diversity and all governmental affairs for the University at the local, state and federal levels.

“I see this as an opportunity to assume some additional duties and further the University’s mission,” he said. “We’re striving to do all things better and what hasn’t been accomplished in the past will certainly be accomplished in the future.”

The “principal components” of FitzGerald’s new responsibilities include implementing affirmative action programs and directing how the University interacts with other governmental agencies from Bowling Green to Columbus and Washington D.C. FitzGerald will also continue to serve as the University’s attorney and adviser of all legal issues.

The University merged FitzGerald’s duties to utilize the government relations role more efficiently from both a performance and monetary aspect, he said.

“The president and her leadership team are always thinking in terms of doing things more efficiently,” he said. “Over time, we talked and decided upon a workable system that accentuates government relations goals.”

In a statement from the University’s website, University President Carol Cartwright said FitzGerald “has a proven track record in helping us address a wide range of challenges and he is well prepared to take on these new responsibilities.”

“His appointment illustrates our commitment to equity and diversity and the importance of governmental affairs in our long-term success,” she said.

A graduate from the University of Detroit School of Law and a member of the State Bars of Ohio and Michigan, FitzGerald said he hopes to blend an interest in public policy and passion for law to improve the University’s reputation and “make its story known.”

To do so, FitzGerald said he will issue quarterly newsletters with legislative updates for the community and hopes to reinvigorate State House Falcons, a grassroots group of alumni, friends and supporters who will help share thoughts and issues with state legislators.

“A lot of it is building relationships,” FitzGerald said. “I’m spending a lot of time with state legislature in Columbus, getting to know people and making sure we’re really well-informed.”

Kim McBroom, chief communications officer, said she has been working with FitzGerald on various promotional materials that will enhance awareness of the University from a legislative perspective.

“Our role is much more closely intertwined now that he has taken on the role of government relations,” she said. “He is really broadening that role and effort and our mission from Marketing & Communications is to support his goals as a collaborative partner.”

FitzGerald’s role in government relations allows for a centralized strategy with an emphasis on linking academics, alumni and the University’s Strategic Plan, McBroom said.

“I really think his planning will pay big dividends for the University over the next two years,” she said. “He is providing focus, strategy and momentum for the University, and also helping legislatures become more aware of BGSU’s role in our educational community, who we are and where we excel.”