New face brings positive energy, diversity to Office of Student Affairs

%26%23160%3B

Mel Hudson-Nowak’s extensive background in education and finance made her an ideal choice as associate vice president for Student Affairs.

She begins Sept. 1, but her involvement with the University goes back to 2006 when she was hired as the University’s director of Internal Audit and Advisory Services. She also served as co-chair of the University’s Strategic Planning Committee in 2008, where she had the opportunity to work with Student Affairs representatives.

“I think the process really gave me a sensitivity to the important issues [Student Affairs] have that they’re trying to work through … as they’re balancing the student experience here at BGSU,” Hudson-Nowak said.

Ed Whipple, vice president for Student Affairs, noted Hudson-Nowak’s enthusiasm for the University and said her “high energy” and “positive attitude” is key for success in the job.

“She understands why we’re here at the University, which is to help students learn, grow and be successful,” Whipple said.

With an education including an MBA in Finance and Marketing, as well as a bachelor’s degree in English, Hudson-Nowak had previously worked for the Ford Motor Company as an auditor and later in product development, according to the BGSU Monitor. She also worked in Sweden under the company’s Volvo division.

Hudson-Nowak initially did not expect to go into business. She worked for a few years before realizing she needed “higher training” to move forward in her job. Her double-major in the field of business came from the desire to maintain a broad focus for any career possibilities that would come her way.

“I think [my MBA] is a really good foundation for a well-rounded business perspective,” Hudson-Nowak said. “I really see myself more as a business generalist.”

Whipple praised Hudson-Nowak’s diverse education, noting how unexpected it is for an English undergraduate to go into business.

“She really understands the importance of education as it relates to being successful in an occupation,” Whipple said.

Because her new position includes responsibility for all of the auxiliaries in Student Affairs, including Dining Services, Residence Life, the Student Union and the Ice Arena, Dean of Students Jill Carr cites Hudson-Nowak’s finance experience as a factor in her hiring.

“We really need someone that can work with those parts of the University as we face additional economic challenges,” Carr said.

Hudson-Nowak noted the similarities between auditing and her new position, mentioning how both involve identifying problems in various departments and finding solutions. Now, as part of a department, she is responsible for putting the solutions into place.

“That’s what I’m really excited about, the opportunity to be more actively involved in finding ways to do things better and doing them.”

Hudson-Nowak is also involved at the University as a student. Since fall 2007, she has taken a class every fall and spring semester. She took her first class in the University’s doctorate program for higher education, but decided to hold off to spend more time with her family in Michigan.

Instead, she has been taking accounting classes in an effort to sit for the Certified Public Accountant exam. She plans to take time off from class to settle into her new job, but she wants to resume her education soon after.

“I don’t ever remember a time when learning something new wasn’t kind of like a new piece of candy,” Hudson-Nowak said. “I’ve got a colleague here at the University who likes to say I’m the poster child for a liberal arts education.”

Hudson-Nowak’s success in her job and education can be attributed in large part to her ability to work with other people. She credits her time in Sweden as critical in her understanding of diversity and differing perspectives.

“At Ford, I learned the importance of identifying alternatives,” Hudson-Nowak said. “It’s very rare that there’s only one way to solve a problem.”

Working in a management position, Hudson-Nowak maintains “an open-door philosophy,” noting the importance of listening to others.

“My team knows that if they think I’m going in the wrong direction … not only do I want, but I expect them to provide me with their thoughts so we can make a good decision.”