Assistant dean brings Falcon spirit to the job

Mike Freyaldenhoven’s passion for the University radiates from his falcon-themed office.

His love of all things orange and brown, from his cross-stitched University logo to his orange Christmas tree, represents “who he is at BGSU,” he said.

And thanks to a recent promotion to an assistant dean of students, Freyaldenhoven said he is a lucky man who gets to work with involved, dedicated University students every day.

“This isn’t a situation that every administrator or faculty member gets to work in,” he said. “I saw an opportunity to work with those students who are active and want to make a difference and I took it. It’s addictive and it’s always been what I’ve needed out of higher education.”

Freyaldenhoven began working under his new title Nov. 29, and said although he was a little “tired and overwhelmed” after his first week, the transition wasn’t too difficult.

The West Memphis, Ark. native has been at the University since 2005 when he began his PhD work as McDonald Hall Director. He has also worked as Rodgers Hall Director and the house director for Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity.

Freyaldenhoven met his wife, Kohl Hall Director Amanda Freyaldenhoven, at the University and now lives with her in the residence hall. He is excited to stick with the University after he completes his dissertation in May, he said.

“This place has really been good to me,” he said. “I’ve learned a lot about who I am as a professional and a student, and it all happened here. Being able to give back and work here as a professional isn’t a gift most people get after their higher education is through.”

The primary portion of Freyaldenhoven’s job as assistant dean of students is to advise Dance Marathon and University Activities Organization programming, because he is the adviser for the events’ participating students. He also assists in planning other major campus events like move-in day, homecoming, Family Weekend and Sibs-N-Kids Weekend, he said.

“I think I have to walk into this situation with an eye for what needs to be done and look into the future to see that,” he said. “But I also need to look into the past and honor it. It’s not my desire to come in and make my own events, but to find out how to best continue our rich tradition of BGSU programming.”

Senior Natalie Jovich, UAO president, met Freyaldenhoven while completing her internship over the summer in the Office of Campus Activities. The two helped plan leadership events, including the Student Leaders’ Retreat and the Ray Marvin Leadership Summit, and had a great experience, she said.

“I really enjoyed working together and I’m excited to work with Mike as an adviser for UAO,” she said. “He’s passionate about working with students and it’s so easy to see that when you work with him. He understands how students fit in and contribute to the University, which makes him a huge asset to campus activities.”

Bryan Cavins, assistant dean of students for leadership programs, also worked closely with Freyaldenhoven this summer and this fall in the Center for Leadership. Freyaldenhoven is a “valuable resource to have on campus,” he said.

“His background on campus and his ability to work well with administrators, faculty and students — those are the keys to his success,” Cavins said. “He has a great, positive attitude and we’re blessed to have him on campus. I hate losing him, and it would have been great to work with him a full year, but obviously I’m very happy for him.”

Freyaldenhoven said his master to-do list is filling up quickly and his major priorities are working with and building relationships with students, as well as supporting them in their event planning endeavors for next semester.

“The grad students working with these programs have been working behind the scenes the entire time; they’re the silent heroes,” he said. “This first week has been a lot of priority setting, a lot of education, reading and meeting with people, but I’m trying to find out how to insert myself into a machine that’s been running the entire time … but it’s really exciting to find out where I can be of service and how my skills and talents will fit in.”