Letter to the editor: The ‘biased liberal media’ is a myth

Liberal Media- 2/24
Liberal Media- 2/24

It is my hope to see the day when both conservative-Republicans and liberal/progressive Democrats will become more politically honest and truthful with the American people. There is tremendous room for improvement on both sides. For example, I recently had the displeasure of reading a letter to the editor in my hometown newspaper in which the writer claims that all liberal/progressive Democrats are “dangerous” because they want to deny freedom of speech to all conservative-Republicans. Can we please stop this kind of over-generalizing and over-exaggerating that is done by both sides?

The one constant mantra, myth, and “greatest hit” that comes from the conservative-Republican side is the false belief that most of the “mainstream media” is heavily pro-liberal/progressive Democrat. This is “an oldie but a goodie” from the right-wingers amongst us. If there is some way to do this, I would love to provide your readers with research evidence that proves that the opposite is true. I have read it.

Let me start with just a few examples: One objective study found that more Americans read pro-conservative-Republican daily newspaper editorials than the opposite. If anyone looks up “conservative think-tanks” and “liberal think-tanks” online, they will see and prove to themselves how many times more that there are conservative ones than liberal ones. Please try to prove me wrong. Look it up. It is overwhelming.

I can also direct your readers to the recent empirical research study done by the respected “The Brookings Institute” which concluded that conservative-Republicans in the national news media as well as conservative-Republican politicians and political candidates insult liberal/progressive Democrats more than the reverse.

There is also a very well-known conservative-Republican author (who has a strong dislike for “illegal immigrants”) who has admitted that the “mainstream media” is now more pro-conservative-Republican than the opposite. She states that many conservative-Republicans know that this is true, but pretend that it is not true because they love to play the “underdog” and to act like they are the “victims” of and are “outnumbered” by the so-called “big, bad, bullying liberal media” because it gets them a lot of votes and a lot of financial donations.

I could go on and on because I have more research evidence and studies that I would love to share with your readers.