Falcon 4 News: Week of November 8

Falcon 4 News Graphic

House special election results

A special election was held on Nov. 2 for Ohio’s 11th and 15th Congressional District seats in the U.S. House of Representatives. Special elections, also known as by-elections, are used to fill major offices left vacant between general elections.

The special election for the 11th Congressional District seat was called with the confirmation of Marcia Fudge as secretary of housing and urban development in President Biden’s administration. The seat was won by Democratic candidate Shontel Brown, winning a large majority of 81.7% of votes cast against Republican candidate Laverne Gore.

The 15th Congressional District’s special election was called after the resignation of Steve Stivers, who left the position to become president and CEO of the Ohio Chamber of Commerce. Republican candidate Mike Carey won the seat from Democratic candidate Allison Russo with 58.3% of the vote.

Wood County local election results

This year’s election came to a close and in Wood County 23.32% of registered voters casted their vote. There are just about 92,300 registered voters in this county, exactly 21,520 votes were cast.

On Nov. 15 the Board of Election will meet to certify provisional ballots and meet again, two days later on Nov. 17 they will meet for election certification. Meetings are held in the Board of Elections Offices conference room at 8:30 a.m.

Absentee Ballots that are received as the polls close, will be included in the results of the election.

Results posted thus far are un-official and do not include provisional ballots cast. These ballots will be included in the final count and will be accepted up to 21 days after the election. Write-in votes are only countable for those who are registered to be write-in candidates.

City Council Ward One:

Mark Hanson (R): 36.45%

Nick Rubando (D): 63.55% -W

City Council Ward Two: 

Joel O’Dorisio (D)

City Council Ward Three:

Tony Hunter (R): 43.40%

Rachel Phipps (D): 56.60% -W

City Council Ward Four:

William Herald (R): 58.32%  -W

Sandra Rowland (D): 41.68%

Astroworld casualties

On Nov. 8, eight people were killed and many more were injured in a mass stage rush at Travis Scott’s Astroworld at NRG Park in Houston, Texas. All victims identified so far are under 30 years old, with two being minors. Among the injured is a 9-year-old boy, who is now in a medically-induced coma at Texas Children’s Hospital. Concertgoers recalled being pushed, falling, passing out and being trampled amidst the panic in their accounts to Houston authorities. Many are not shocked at the violent event as in 2019 three people were hospitalized after being trampled at Astroworld.

The official Astroworld Festival’s put out a statement on Twitter the night of the incident, canceling the Saturday lineup and sending condolences to the families of the victims. The organizers of the festival, Live Nation Entertainment and Scoremore holdings, are being sued along with Travis Scott, Drake and NRG Park’s management.

Thousands of migrants at Poland-Belarus border

Tensions have been rising at the Belarusian-Polish border between Belarusian migrants and Polish border guards for months. Over 9,000 Polish troops mobilized to the border as more and more Belarusians seek to illegally cross into the country. Over 16,000 illegal attempts to cross the border have been made since August, and a third of those were made in the last month, according to CNN and Poland’s border patrol. The situation continues to escalate as more than 1,000 migrants have been directly escorted to the Belarusian-Polish border by Belarusian authorities.

European officials from nations bordering Belarus, like the prime ministers of Poland and Lithuania, have accused Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko of manufacturing the migrant crisis by pushing Middle Eastern and African refugees to other European countries.

This comes after the installment of economic sanctions on Belarus by the European Union amongst accusations against Lukashenko of stealing the presidential election and multiple human rights violations.