Stay engaged: USG talks how to become involved on campus

Director of Student Engagement Brian Heilmeier speaks to USG about the revitalization and increased exposure of student organizations on the BGSU campus.

Director of Student Engagement Brian Heilmeier spoke to the Undergraduate Student Government about student organizations on campus and how students can become more involved with their on-campus community. 

“This year specifically, we have been doing a lot more rebuilding. Many groups did not come back the next year (after COVID-19). There’s really been a vacant spot for about 18 months,” he said. 

In order to rebuild, the Student Engagement office has hired a coordinator of student organizations and worked to bring about more convenience for the students of BGSU. 

“Every three weeks we host an event within the resident halls. A lot of that idea comes from how to make it convenient for folks to attend. We (also) didn’t want one gathering place,” Heilmeier said. 

Student Engagement hosts events such as Winter Wonderland, Falcons After Dark and Campus Fest for the BGSU students to partake in and to be actively a part of the community.

“We really try to look at engagement as not just one thing where you figure out what student group you want to join, you join it, and that is your involvement,” he said. “Our thought and our goal are how to get folks connected in a lot of different facets knowing that some students do not have the time to join a student group.”

Heilmeier suggests joining two organizations: one group that goes along with one’s major and another for fun.

There are 314 different student organizations on campus, all of which can be found on the BGSU Student Engagement page. Their offices are located within the Bowen Thompson Student Union room 301.