• They Both Die at the End ā€“ General Review
    Summer break is the perfect opportunity to get back into reading. Adam Silveraā€™s (2017) novel, They Both Die at the End, can serve as a stepping stone into the realm of reading. The pace is fast, action-packed, and develops loveable characters. Also,Ā Silvera switches point of view each chapter where narration mainly focuses on the protagonists, […]
  • My Favorite Book ā€“ Freshwater
    If thereā€™s one book that I believe everyone should read once in their life, itā€™s my favorite book ā€“ Freshwater by Akwaeke Emezi. From my course, Queer Literature under Dr. Bill Albertini, I discovered Emeziā€™s Freshwater (2018). Once more, my course, Creative Writing Thesis Workshop under Professor Amorak Huey, was instructed to present our favorite […]

Are referees biased by fans at BGSU?

During the 2019-2020 European soccer season, a study from Science News shows that home teams were refereed harsher than they were during seasons with fans in attendance. That begs the question, how much do fans influence referees at BGSU soccer matches?

This study suggests that fan influence on referees is a major part of a given match. Two sports psychologists, Fabio Richlan and Michael Leitner, conducted the study by observing matches from eight European countries including England, Spain, Germany and Italy. Each match had no fans in attendance and it was found that home teams won 8.3% less, lost 8.4% more and drew about the same amount as the season prior.

The study also found that home teams got 26% more yellow cards than in the season prior, while away teams only saw a 3% increase.

Those in BGSU’s soccer program also claim home-field advantage makes a difference, but for different reasons. Eric Nichols, in his 13th year as the men’s soccer head coach, described exactly what a home crowd provides to his team.

“A home crowd gives us more focus, more purpose, more energy, more reason to do the hard work,” Nichols said. “We’re not just doing it for ourselves, we’re doing it for a crowd as well.”

As for the fans influencing referees, Nichols took the side of the officials, saying coaches and staff might have some impact, but the referees are “good against crowds.”

However, Jimmy Walker, in his second year as the head coach of the women’s soccer team, was slightly more hesitant to dispel the idea of home fans influencing referees.

“It depends on how rowdy the fans are and how close they are to the officials. I think sometimes it can influence an official if there’s a 50/50 call that they’re not sure about,” Walker said. “Most of the top officials don’t get too swayed by anything, but if it’s a close call, you might get a few in your favor when you’re at home.”

Walker’s sentiments were echoed by Zach Buescher, one of the men’s team captains. He said it’s the players’ job to make sure that referees don’t end up deciding games.

“The refs are doing their best to keep it fair, but I think at times they can definitely be influenced. We don’t try to rely on the refs to impact how the game ends up though. We like to have it in our control,” he said.

Men’s soccer hosts Georgia State on Oct. 7 at 7 p.m.

Women’s soccer travels to Ball State on Oct. 7 with a 4 p.m. kickoff. Their next home game is against Miami on Oct. 10 at 1 p.m.