NAMI, USG discuss mental health advocacy

BGSU’s Undergraduate Student Government held a meeting about mental health, along with the passing of new bylaws and constitution amendments. 

National Alliance on Mental Health Advocate Brianna Snow spoke on the stigmatizing and difficulty of mental health in front of the undergraduate student government.

“Mental health is very stigmatizing. You’re not supposed to have weaknesses in this world. So having to ask for help is something that is really difficult. We help individuals get services that they need,” she said.

Snow said students are struggling to readjust to the new campus life. Those who were fully online are now stepping into unrealistic expectations of understanding campus, organizations and juggling in-person classes.

“It is really difficult to come back to this environment and be expected to know what to do,” she said. “There is a lot less lenience and empathy being shown from professors.”

“We are suddenly being thrust back into this unrealistic expectation that we can juggle a ton of things,” she said.

To help those struggling with mental health, Snow said that awareness and knowledge of resources are important and other options a student can go to for help.

The Wood County Crisis Line is one of the many resources around Bowling Green that help those in need. NAMI will be hosting a Self-Care Street Fair on campus on Oct. 6 from noon to 3:00 p.m. 

USG unanimously passed new USG Governing Bylaws and one new addition to the USG Governing Constitution. The constitution now allows a Multicultural/Accessibility Advocate and Student Labor representative within the USG Senate. 

According to the revised bylaws, the Multicultural/Accessibility Advocate Senator “is an individual who considers themselves an ally to students with differing levels of ability and is passionate about creating a more inclusive environment on campus.”

The Student Labor Senator “is an undergraduate student who is employed either part-time or full-time on campus,” per the bylaws.

The Academic Affairs Chair, Internal Affairs Chair and Student Affairs Chair will receive a $500 scholarship starting the next academic year. 

The Anti-Discrimination and Equal Representation Opportunities Policy was also voted into the bylaws containing a new rule requiring the USG to provide equal representation opportunities and being respectful and responsive to every difference.

One new officer was sworn in:

• Joseph Blair; International Fraternity Council senator