How to pumpkin this Halloween

Fall+Activities
Fall Activities

Are you looking for a last-minute way to celebrate the Halloween spirit in Bowling Green? With Halloween right around the corner, it only feels right to get a pumpkin, eat pumpkin foods and decorate to get into the festivities.

If you are still searching for farms to pick out a pumpkin, The Pumpkin Peddler, located on 20354 North Dixie Highway in Bowling Green, is the perfect place to start your search. 

You can search for your pumpkin in the patch, go on a hayride, explore through a pumpkin maze, and if you are really in the Halloween spirit, you can even get your face painted. The Pumpkin Peddler’s pumpkin season ends when the month of October closes. They are open on weekdays from noon till dark, Saturdays from 10 A.M. till dark, and Sundays from 11 P.M. till dark. 

Once you pick out the perfect pumpkin, you can do the typical festivity of scooping out the slimy insides of your pumpkin guts and carving a spooky face into the pumpkin. Or, you can save the hassle of the mess and paint directly onto your pumpkin. Pinterest is one of the best ways to find fun and cute ideas to decorate or Google something online and let the crafts begin. 

And, if you’re feeling even more crafty and creative, you can take part in the pumpkin head photoshoot that went viral on TikTok. After carving everything onto your pumpkin you can cut a big whole into the bottom of your pumpkin. After leaving it for a little bit to dry the insides out, place the pumpkin over your head, and as an outcome you now can take festive Halloween pictures. Or even use your carved pumpkin as a Halloween costume! 

After you are done with your pumpkins there are many ways to reduce and recycle your pumpkin after the holiday is over. Pumpkins are 90% water meaning they will break down quickly if you decide to compost your pumpkin. Or you can break up your pumpkin and feed the wildlife around your home. If you are a  pumpkin flavor fan you can roast your pumpkin seeds, make homemade pumpkin puree, and if you are a big baker you can make many sweets such as pumpkin donuts, muffins and if you’re feeling in a sharing mood you can even make pumpkin dog treats.