USG, BGSU Votes hosts ‘Trick or Vote’ event

The event was held in the BTSU Sky Bank room.

The Undergraduate Student Government paired with BGSU Votes on Oct. 25, to host Trick or Vote in the Sky Bank room in the Bowen-Thompson Student Union.

The event was held in support of National Voting Day. Hannah Boyle, the student outreach and engagement worker for BGSU Votes explained that they chose Monday because many students go home every weekend.

“This event is to encourage students to stay involved and to inform them that early voting is an option. As well as having some fun with (voting) because democracy shouldn’t be sitting in your history class bored to death, it should be something that you are actively invested in and passionate about and it is important that students realize how interesting and intricate it can be,” Boyle said.

The event had free food, paintings to participate in and Freddie and Frieda showed up in their best Halloween attire.

Boyle went on to express how important it is for university students to vote and how their voices hold a lot of power.

“As young students, we are the future of what will be coming up in not only the government but also just day-to-day life. It’s very important to know what you are going to deal with in the future as well as now because who knows when it might catch up to you,” she said.

Emily Gerome, an active volunteer with BGSU Votes, emphasized how the “elections are going to be the most impactful to everyone’s day-to-day life but especially for university students.”

“You’re living in this town so this is where you can vote, if you choose to. Also, it’s super important to change your voting address to vote in the place where you got to school. So if you are living on campus, you can change your voting address to vote on campus and to vote in the local elections happening in BG,” Gerome said.

Freshman Kay Smith, said that as college students, voting is necessary so students may  express their opinions.

“I think it’s important to encourage voting to the student body so that they go there and get their opinions heard,” Smith said.

USG President Alex Chiarelott saw early voting as a helpful tool to college students saying that “you don’t want to procrastinate your vote.”

“You don’t want to have to wait till the last second to try to fit something out because if something messes up with your registration or there is just some problem, you’re not going to be able to vote,” he said. “Your voice is not going to be heard.”