USG passes S.R. 05 for Indigenous People’s Day

Assistant Director for Fellowship Mentoring Tiffany Menard speaks to USG.

USG spoke with Tiffany Menard about scholarship opportunities for BGSU students nationally. Marcus Goolsby also brought to attention the Reimaging Rural Regions project being hosted by the Center of Regional Development. 

Senate Resolution 05 was passed by a majority vote with one abstaining to allow the University to replace any celebration or reference to Columbus Day with a celebration and understanding of Indigenous People Day. 

The S.R. 05 states that the USG of BGSU calls for BGSU to renew its commitment to educate its students on the past atrocities committed against indigenous groups and amplify the voices and cultures of the indigenous people rather than their oppressors.

The resolution is also asking BGSU to reach out and collaborate with local indigenous groups, non-profits and people to include them in the process of creating a policy and programming for future Indigenous People’s Days. 

Connor Winke abstained because the bill did not make apparent the idea of Indigenous People’s Day becoming a set holiday for the students. 

“A few of us voiced the opinion that this should be used to replace that day since the university currently doesn’t have Columbus Day off for students,” he said. 

After thorough research in BGSU’s Columbus Day references, Winke had come to the conclusion that “this provision is arbitrary to claim” and believes that the bill could have been written, “more clearly and concisely.” 

“We should not be censoring history when the point is to teach history, so history doesn’t repeat itself,” he said. 

Tiffany Menard spoke with the Undergraduate Student Government about the importance of BGSU students participating in scholarships both hosted by BGSU and nationally. 

“I’m trying to make more students aware because I know we have phenomenal students in every corner of our campus that aren’t aware or have never heard of these opportunities or don’t realize they are qualified for these opportunities,” she said. 

Menard mentioned the Truman scholarship, which is available to anyone within the Public Service major, could receive 30000 dollars for their graduate study. This particular scholarship is very competitive being that only 60 to 70 students receive the scholarship a year. 

“Many of these scholarships are oriented towards funding for graduate education,” she said. 

These national scholarships can be found by contacting Menard at [email protected] or looking at the National Fellowship and Scholarship Programs on the BGSU website

Jodi Webb, USG Faculty Advisor, added in the end that scholarships surrounding BGSU opened Oct. 1st and are still open to be completed. 

Marcus Goolsby, graduate student for the Center of Regional Development, brought to light the new Reimagining Rural Regions Initiative taking place in the Spring 2022 and Summer 2022 semesters. 

The initiative will help Gibsonburg, Van Wert and Marsville in completing pacemaking projects in an effort to improve the quality of life and aid in the retention and attraction of talent. 

The spring program will consist of training and community development for the interns and the interns will also receive $10 an hour, per week. The summer program will apply what was learned in the spring to help the communities and comes with a bonus so interns make $20 an hour, per week. 

“For a lot of these communities, you are the first BGSU professional interaction that they’ve had. You’re working to build not only a relationship but to make their town better, work on pacemaking projects and also help the economy,” he said. 

The pacemaking projects are collaborative processes in which people shape their public realm through shared values. The project is wanting to create quality places for people to live, play, work and learn. 

One new officer was sworn in:

• Ty Jennings: Off-Campus senator