Women’s soccer beats Oakland in home opener

BGSU women’s soccer

Bowling Green Women’s Soccer took on the Oakland Golden Grizzlies in their home opener at Cochrane Stadium on Sunday. Entering the match Bowling Green had dropped their previous matches in games against Notre Dame, Michigan, and Ohio State.

Sunday’s home match seemed to start in Oakland’s favor with the Golden Grizzlies having a lot of possession following the opening kickoff. Then in the 17th minute the Falcons turned the tables scoring the first goal of the contest coming from the feet of Madi Wolfbauer. The Falcons went on to score twice more in the first half on goals from Nikki Cox and Ruby Linton.

In the second half, it was more of the same from Bowling Green scoring three more goals. Cox and Wolfbauer both scored their second goals of the match, and then sophomore Rylee Clark scored her first career goal for the orange and brown.

Senior captain, Madi Wolfbauer, talked about the message inside the team meeting after the game.

“It was a great team win, the starting 11 were great and the bench players were great. We’ve been looking forward to the home opener and we played real Bowling Green women’s soccer today,” smiled Wolfbauer.

Next up for the Falcons will be a trip to East Lansing on Thursday to take on Big Ten opponent Michigan State. It will be the Falcons third Big Ten opponent of the season.

“The reason we choose to play these large non-conference opponents is so we are hitting our stride once we get to conference play,” said Falcons Head Coach Jimmy Walker.

The match between the Falcons and Spartan will be the 18th meeting between the two teams. Kickoff is set for Thursday at 7 p.m. and can be viewed on Big Ten Network Plus (BTN+).