Scholars to address ethics, paternalism in society

Paternalistic laws permeate society, yet few people probably know what they are, philosophy professor Christian Coons said.

Seat belt laws, drug restrictions and compulsory social security are three examples of paternalism in the United States — laws that restrict an individual’s choice for his or her protection, he said.

To explore and debate paternalism, the philosophy department is hosting a free workshop Friday and Saturday called “Freedom, Paternalism and Morality” from 9:30 a.m. to 5:45 p.m. in room 207 of the Union.

The event will feature keynote speakers Douglas Husak from Rutgers University and Richard Arneson from the University of California at San Diego. Eight renowned speakers from other universities will attend.

“Paternalism is a philosophical conflict between two values — having a happy, well-off population and giving them the ability to make their own choices,” Coons said. “Because it’s a workshop, the audience will learn about applied ethical issues, but the participants will learn from one another, too. Everyone’s coming from different angles and very diverse backgrounds.”

Coons is a member of the committee that organized the event and selected speakers from more than 100 nominees nationwide.

The University is nationally known for its applied ethics program, and the weekend workshop will further enhance its reputation while “enriching the campus and students’ lives,” he said.

“It really involves a lot of hot, button-pressing issues,” Coons said. “Fundamentally, it boils down to the issue of what the role of government should be. Is it to protect liberty, or is it to make our lives better?”

Philosophy lecturer Ian Young said he moved from New Zealand to the United States to teach at the University because of the philosophy department’s strong reputation. He addresses several of the workshop’s topics in courses he teaches, he said.

“Some people might not know what paternalism is right away, but once you get a few examples, it’s something most people are interested in,” Young said. “People may argue that making choices is what America is all about, but others think there are some choices that people shouldn’t make, or should be discouraged from making.”

A current topic Young said is discussed frequently is Richard Thaler and Cass Sunstei’s book “Nudge,” which suggests governments can subtly influence peoples’ decisions without enforcing laws.

“It’s not exactly telling people what they should and shouldn’t do, but just giving them a little nudge in the right direction,” Young said. “It’s a newer idea. A workshop is an interesting opportunity to see this academia in process rather than the finished product. It’s a group of academics getting together, hashing out ideas.”

Philosophy professor Michael Weber assisted Coons and Young in coordinating the event. The Department of Philosophy hopes to now host annual workshops on applied philosophy and has already set aside funds for next year, Weber said.

“We want to provide a forum for students and faculty interested in this topic, but we also want to serve the larger academic world by providing a venue for people from different universities to come together and share ideas,” he said.

A schedule of events and additional information about the workshop can be found on the Department of Philosophy section of the University’s website.

Those interested in pre-registering should contact Priscilla Ibarra at 419-372-2117 or [email protected].