Softball looks for bright spots amid tough season

The Falcon softball team may not be heading to the Mid-American Conference Tournament, but it regained its footing at the end of a rough season through a series of wins and recognition for individual players.

With a 6-15 record in MAC play and 12-32 overall record, the team finished the season by defeating Akron 7-3 at home last Sunday to win five of its last six games.

The win was the second part of a weekend sweep, with a 3-2 victory the day before from a home-run by sophomore first baseman Paige Berger, scoring three runs to win the game and ending the Zips’ chances to enter the MAC Tournament.

Nevertheless, the Falcon’s 1-14 record at the beginning of MAC play prevented it from advancing to postseason games.

Head coach Shannon Salsburg said it was a struggle to achieve consistency in putting together three important aspects of the game-hitting, defense and pitching-until the end of the season.

“We had bright moments in all three aspects,” Salsburg said. “We simply need a way to put them together … more often.”

Salsburg named the Falcon’s home sweep of Ball State at the beginning of the month one of the season’s highlights, besting the conference leader 7-6 and 5-4 in games that lasted 12 and 14 innings.

Berger and senior pitcher Zada Lines were rewarded for their efforts at the end of the season, being named the MAC East Division Player of the Week and Pitcher of the Week.

“Paige is our leader,” Salsburg said. “She plays an outstanding first base and her hitting, especially in clutch spots, is huge.”

Salsburg added that the awards were a credit to the team as well as Berger and Lines.

“You can only garner honors with the help of your teammates,” she said. “It was a testament to the fact that our team didn’t ever quit playing hard.”

Other standout players included junior outfielder Rachel Proehl and senior outfielder Lindsay Arney.

“(Proehl) was a constant for us offensively,” Salsburg said. “She also came up with some big plays defensively for us throwing a number of runners out at home this year.

“(Arney) became the general of our outfield,” she added. “If a ball was hit anywhere near her, you always knew we had a chance to make the play.”

Up-and-coming players include freshmen catcher/infielder Erika Stratton and infielder Katie Yoho.

Salsburg said Yoho sustained a foot injury that kept her from working out in the fall. Despite initial troubles at bat, she ended up getting some crucial hits for the team.

Salsburg added Stratton is likely to develop into a great hitter as well as a catcher.

“Stratton is a fantastic catcher,” Salsburg said. “She has a cannon of an arm.”