Swim team drops final MAC meet of regular season to Toledo

The Falcon swim team took on the Rockets from rival Toledo Friday night, less than 48 hours from their last dual meet. In the final conference dual meet of the season, the Falcons fell short to the defending swimming Mid-American Conference champions Rockets 195-80.

BG (3-3, 1-3 MAC) won just two events on the night, with them being one individual and one relay in the 16 events on the night. The Falcons tallied seven second-place finishes and three third-place finishes as well.

Sophomore Alexa Harris won the 100 backstroke by defeating two Rocket swimmers by less than one-half second. She also competed in the 200 event, but she finished as the runner-up and making it a tight race to the finish.

The other victory for BG on the night was in the 200 freestyle relay event. Brittany Szekely, Carrie Enright, Emily Bennet, and Sarah Reinink made up the team and gained the team 11 points for the victory.

One of the seven second-place finishes came in the other relay, the 400 medley, thanks to Harris, Bennet, Alexis Kain and Vicky Yu.

Kain and Yu both had two individual second-place finishes. Kain recorded both of hers in the breaststroke events, while Yu earned second in the 400 individual medley and the 200 butterfly event. The other top-two finish came in the 50 yard freestyle where Szekely completed the event in 24.41 seconds.

Kristina Roop (1650 freestyle), Reinink (50 freestyle), and Bennet (100 freestyle) each earned third-place finishes on the night.

The Falcons will have their last meet of the season against the Michigan State in East Lansing on Friday. After this meet they will start preparing for the MAC Championships in Athens Feb. 23-26.