Swim team wraps up season with loss at MSU

The Falcon swim team wrapped up its 2010-11 season with a respectable loss Friday night against Michigan State in East Lansing, Mich.

BG fell to the Spartans 165-129, but the Falcons had a good evening in the pool, winning seven of the night’s 14 events.

The meet was tight till the end; the Falcons even led the meet 72-59 after the first seven events, but couldn’t hold on in the end. Six of the seven wins on the night were in individual events, which four of those came from Alexa Harris and Alexis Kain, who both swept their designated events.

Harris dominated the 200 backstroke event, building a two second lead in the event. In the 100 backstroke event, she overcame a deficit and pushed to win in the last 50 yards.

Similarly to Harris, Kain charged in the last 50 yards to win the 100-yard breaststroke by seventeen-hundredths of a second.

She fell less than tenth of a second shy of a new personal record in the event. Later in the evening, Kain got out to the lead and fought a furious finish by the nearest Spartan and beat her by over a second.

One of the other two individual events won was by Andrea Brown in the 200 freestyle.

She won by nearly a second over the MSU runner-up. She trailed teammate Emily Bennet for much of the race, but then won the remaining 50-yard splits to earn the win. She also raced in the 500 freestyle, where she finished fourth.

In the 200 butterfly, Vicky Yu won comfortably by over 2.5 seconds.

In the 100 butterfly event, she finished just behind the Spartan winner by a half-second. She also placed fourth in the 200 individual medley.

The other win on the night for the Falcons came in the opening event of the night.

In the 400 medley relay, Harris, Kain, Yu and Bennet combined to win the event by six-tenths of a second in a thrilling finish.

With the regular-season over, the Falcons will concentrate on the 2011 Mid-American Conference championship meet in Athens, Ohio.

It will be held on Feb. 23-26. BG finished the season with a record of 3-4 overall.