While you are out: Women’s basketball hits the road

The Falcons are looking to gain momentum on the road against a winless Detroit Mercy team.

After adding a “W” to their record on Sunday at the Stroh, head coach Curt Miller said he wants his team to prove that they can be successful on the road too.

The Falcons have a 24-hour turnaround before they head North to face the Titans.

With their only road loss coming from a season-opening Dayton team, Miller said they have to play better than their showing against the Flyers.

BG had nine of their 11 players meet or exceed their career bests against Evansville. Leading the team was lone returning starter Chrissy Steffen with 16 points on the game and she is averaging 11.7 points per game.

Bench players stepped up and performed for the Falcons, led by two sophomores, Noelle Yoder and Jillian Halfhill, who both surpassed many personal career records.

Yoder left the court with 14 points against Evansville, doubling her previous best of seven.

Halfhill had seven points, five assists and three steals in 27 minutes of play on Sunday.

Yoder and freshman Jasmine Matthews hit back-to-back three-point shots – something that has never been done by the youthful team in practice nor in a game, Miller said.

The three tri-captains for the Falcons rank one-two-three in scoring – Steffen with 11.7, Danielle Harvel and Jessica Slagle both with eight points per game.

Lead scorer for the Titans is freshman forward, Shareta Brown, who also leads Detroit in rebounds and steals.

Senior guard Jalesa Jones leads the opposing team in assists and junior forward Yar Shayok leads with blocks.

BG tops Detroit Mercy in a 12-10 overall series.

Detroit is searching for their first win, while BG is looking for their first road win.

Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. in Calihan Hall in Detroit.