Residential Student Association hosts children’s event

unknown

Alisha May watches while Jamall Bryant, 4, goes fishing for Halloween candy at Halloween Fun Fest in the Union Tuesday evening

The Union was filled with tiny superheroes and supervillains, a few Marios and Luigis, and even a couple of Peaches on Oct. 25.

The Residential Student Association hosted a Halloween Fun Festival in the Union for neighborhood children to have a safe place to come to and also get students involved, Kevin Gates, Senior Coordinator of Residence Life said.

“Each of our 11 hall councils [had] a booth,” Gates said.

At each booth, there was a different activity for the children to take part in.

Harshman Chapman/Dunbar’s activity was called “Mystery Boxes” where children put their hands into boxes with unknown substances inside.

“My favorite part is watching people’s faces when they touch stuff,” freshman Ladonne Wilson said.

Some booths had candy and treats for the students. Kohl Hall had bag decorations for a place to put the candy, and Falcon Heights had “Monster Hands,” which were rubber gloves filled with popcorn.

Other booths had activities, such as McDonald Hall’s booth, which had fishing for candy and chocolate. The children would stand a distance away from a “Witches Cauldron” and throw a fishing line to get candy.

Some games were a little more difficult than others, such as Harshman Anderson/Bromfield’s ring toss, which was difficult even for University students.

Conklin, however, had something that grabbed attention and made a lot of noise.

“They’re toilet paper mummy races,” sophomore Jane Bailey said. The children would line up to become mummified by the Conklin Hall Council members and see who could become mummified first.

Not only was this night fun for the children, it was also fun for the parents and University students.

University students also became involved and dressed up.

“Our students who are organizing the event get valuable experience,” Gates said.

The event happens every year.

“It started a number of years ago and evolved over time,” he said.

Not all of the booths were in the Multi-purpose room. In the entrance of the Union, there was bobbing for doughnuts, hosted by National Residents Hall Honorary.

The BGSU Marauders gave children a chance to feel like Harry Potter and try to catch “The Snitch” in order to win candy.

Candy wasn’t the only treat the children would get to leave with. Centennial Hall had a tattoo station and Founders had face painting.