BG women’s soccer drops first two games of season

The BG women’s soccer team started its season on the wrong foot.

The Falcons played the first two games of the regular season in Illinois, taking on Loyola and Illinois State. The Falcons dropped both games, losing at Loyola 1-0 on an own goal Friday, and suffering a 5-2 defeat at Illinois State Sunday afternoon.

Against Loyola, the Rambles struck 19 minutes into the game, when a free kick glanced off the head of a BG defender in the penalty area and went into the net.

However, coach Andy Richards felt that the team played better than the score indicated.

“Over the 90 minutes, I felt that we were the better team for about 75 of them,” he said. “Unfortunately in those other 15 minutes is when they scored their goal.”

Becca Ison received the start in goal for the Falcons, and she stopped three of four shots she faced.

“We’re disappointed, because you’re always disappointed when you lose, but we’re not disheartened because a lot of good things came out of that game,” Richards said.

The Falcons could not carry that strong play into the Sunday game against Illinois State, as they fell apart in the second half in a 5-2 loss.

The Falcons led the game 2-0 late in the first half after Ashley Miller and Kaylee Draper scored just four minutes apart. However the Redbirds scored five unanswered goals to end the game.

Kyla Cross scored two goals in two minutes to tie the game, and the Redbirds took the lead 10 minutes later.

Ison once again received the start in goal, stopping 11 of 16 shots she faced.

The Falcons are off until Sunday, when they play their home opener against Detroit. Gametime is scheduled for 1 p.m.