Hoverboards banned in residence halls for safety reasons

Over winter break, the University’s Office of Residence Life decided to institute a ban on a motorized toy called a hoverboard in the residence halls, citing concern for the fires and explosions they may cause, especially during the charging period.

Sarah Waters, director of Residence Life, said talk of banning the hoverboards came around the same time national retailers started pulling the product from their shelves due to safety concerns.

“At the same time, we were starting to look at what we might need to do in terms of making sure the residence halls were safe, knowing that people would have them,” Waters said.

It’s not just the University that is banning hoverboards. According to Ryan Lasker’s article for USA Today on Jan. 9, more than 30 colleges have banned hoverboards because of safety concerns.

After seeing that other colleges and universities were banning hoverboards, Waters said Residence Life made the same decision over break after being consulted by Stephanie Sickler, the director of the University’s Risk Management.

“We made the decision over winter break to follow suit, to make sure the residence halls would be as safe as possible as students are returning, potentially wanting to bring back a new gift or something they maybe had received,” Waters said.

If students are caught with a hoverboard while in one of the residence halls, they are asked to remove the hoverboard from their room, either putting it in their car or taking it home if they live close by.

“We’re not confiscating it and destroying it because it’s their property,” Waters said. “We need to make sure it’s not being charged, especially in the building.”

Students can still ride hoverboards on campus grounds, however, they are not allowed to be ridden in buildings.

Waters also warns students living off campus to be mindful of hoverboards and to make sure they are safe wherever they may live.

University students see the ban in positive light after hearing about the problems that hoverboards can cause, though it seemed like students didn’t realize that the ban only extended to those living in residence halls.

“I don’t really care because it doesn’t affect me. I think they’re kind of annoying because they’re just like bikes and people will just tend to run you over. They’re really hard to control and people suck at maneuvering them,” sophomore Jalynn Dukes said.

Some students were hopeful that the ban would mean fewer hoverboards on campus.

“I approve (of) the ban. They’re annoying on campus and I almost got run over like, five times last semester so I’m happy about it,” sophomore Alex Morris said.

Still, students are also pleased that the ban is in place so the safety concerns can be addressed.

“I think it makes sense because apparently they’re exploding,” senior Giovanni Lanza said.

However, Waters doesn’t see the ban as something permanent.

“We don’t consider this a permanent ban because we believe that the batteries and the charging of them will get taken care of, that a better standard will come in place and students will be able to bring hoverboards into the residence halls in future semesters,” Waters said. “I think they’re pretty neat, but we need them to be safe. That’s the number one thing, especially with students living in such proximity to each other.”

For more information about the hoverboard ban, students can go to the Residence Life’s safety page and read more about why the ban on hoverboards was instituted.