It’s On Us & President’s Day discussed by faculty senate

University faculty members may be getting more involved in the It’s On Us Campaign.

Mary Toth, a political science major at the University, said President Obama and Vice President Joe Biden originally started the campaign in September 2014.

Director of the Wellness Connection Faith DeNardo said the campaign has been mainly student run, since its start in the fall of 2014 and has been focused on not only spreading the word about sexual assault in general, but about the mission of the organization as well.

Specifically, the initiative focuses on bystander education and how to intervene when someone is not able or willing to give consent. It also focuses on what consent really means, presenting the information to students, student organizations, RA trainings, and in class settings.

“This is a difficult conversation for anyone to have, especially among students,” DeNardo said.

Toth is one of 17 students taking part in the national committee that gives feedback to the National Campaign in Washington DC.

“She has been instrumental in moving his campaign forward since its inception,” DeNardo said.

Here at the University, students raise awareness for the campaign by passing out “swag” at tables around campus, including wrist bands, T-shirts, and cards with the organization’s logo. The organization also holds video and selfie contests each year.

Anyone who supports the pledge can sign it on the It’s On Us website, which includes not only being an active bystander but recognizing that nonconsensual sex is sexual assault and making a clear stand against sexual assault.

“This may seem like common sense, but common sense isn’t common all the time,” Toth said.

Faculty Senate also discussed President’s Day coming up this Monday.

While President Mary Ellen Mazey was in Columbus meeting with the State Speaker of the House of Representatives to work on the capital planning budget, Vice Provost of Academic Affairs John Fischer stood in for her at the faculty senate meeting. Fischer conveyed Mazey’s message of how important President’s Day will be for all University faculty and staff.

“The number one priority of faculty is to work on recruitment and retention,” Fischer said.

The University’s enrollment target is 3500-3600 students with an 80% retention rate. While Fischer said the University is well on its way to achieving that goal, President’s Day could be a deciding factor.

“It tends to be one of those days where a lot students are making their final decisions about where they’re going to invest the next X-number of years,” Provost Rodney Rogers said. “We certainly want that to be Bowling Green.”