Womens basketball drop game to Buffalo

The Bowling Green women’s basketball team fell to the University of Buffalo by a score of 63-50 on Saturday night at the Stroh Center. Leading the way for the Falcons was Lauren Tibbs who scored 15 points, 6 rebounds and 3 assists. Tibbs was the only player to score double digits for the team.

Behind Tibbs was Sydney Lambert who added 8 points, 5 rebounds and 2 steals.

BGSU held Buffalo defensively in the first quarter as they allowed them to score just 6 points.

The second quarter was drastically different as Buffalo’s offense scored 31 points. Towards the end of the quarter, Buffalo went on an 18-4 run heading into halftime. Buffalo went into the half leading BGSU 37-33.

Both teams went at it defensively in the third quarter as both only managed to score only 11 points. The Falcons were only down by four heading into the final quarter.

Offensive struggles continued in the fourth as the Falcons were unable to make their open shots. Buffalo was able to pull away for good in the end by holding BGSU to only 6 points.

Buffalo is one of the best rebounding teams in the Mid-American Conference and they outrebounded the Falcons 50-26. This led to second chance opportunities and wide open looks for the perimeter.

“We knew coming into the game that they were a fantastic rebounding team being second in the MAC and based on our numbers, we didn’t do the greatest job,” said Tibbs. “We came out with some great energy that helped us on both sides and I think we need to work on maintaining that throughout the game. We got a little tense and too excited, but we just need to step back and play when that happens.”

In the loss, Tibbs also took away building points.

“I honestly think with any loss you have to take your mistakes, learn from it and move on. Obviously, there’s quick turnarounds the way our schedule plays out and we can’t dwell on it. We have to keep pushing forward and it’s not over yet,” Tibbs said.

The team had one of the poorer nights in terms of shooting the ball. Even when uncontested, the majority of opportunities did not end with points.

“I didn’t anticipate us shooting 31 percent at home, that’s a disappointing number for a team that I know can shoot better,” head coach Jennifer Roos said. “Lot of kids couldn’t get shots going down and we were outscored. This is one of the best rebounding teams in the MAC and we knew we would get outrebounded offensively.”

BGSU looks to regroup as they take on their rival UT at the Stroh Center on Wednesday.