Rec Center to help students de-stress with Midnight Pajama Party

The Student Recreation Center will be hosting the Midnight Pajama Party from 10 p.m. to midnight on Thursday. This event is focused on students getting their minds off the stressful finals week that is coming around the corner. It will also provide a lot of activities including rock climbing, crafts, and many other activities.

Faith DeNardo, director of Wellness Connection, helped put together this event so that students won’t get too caught up in the finals week. While DeNardo believes that students should study hard, it’s always okay to take a break once and a while.

“This event provides an opportunity for students to relax and unwind before finals week arrives,” DeNardo said. “Participants in the event receive valuable information and resources that provide beneficial strategies for reducing stress during the end of semester activities, exams, and projects.”

The event has proven to be quite beneficial according to Sarah Music, a Graduate Assistant of Wellness Connection, who had the students take a survey in regards to the event and the results came out very positive.

“Last year, 83 percent of participants surveyed stated that as a result of the event, they understood and felt comfortable applying the wellness concepts discussed to situations that may occur in their life,” Music said. “The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention states that finding support, connecting socially, getting plenty of sleep, staying active, and giving yourself a break are all healthy ways to cope with stress. 

At the Pajama Party, students will have the opportunity to connect with campus resources, interact with other students, learn how to improve sleep habits, participate in dance class and rock climbing, which can give them a break from worrying about stress in their lives.”

Some students use the Recreation Center as a way to get their mind off of the stresses of schoolwork and exams. BGSU student Sam Bediako, who goes to the Recreation Center often, expressed his interest in possibly attending the event.

“I think it’s very convenient,” Bediako said. “I don’t know any student that doesn’t get stressed out during finals week. I use the Recreation Center to help deal with my stress, so the fact that it’s in this building makes me intrigued by attending the event, but I might have to check it out on Thursday.”

Students participating in the event will need to wear appropriate pajama clothing in order to get the true experience of a Pajama Party. Holly Weller, who is the Wellness Connection Student Supervisor, provided a reasoning behind wearing pajamas at the event.

“The reasoning behind wearing pajamas is that we’re encouraging people to sleep and studies have shown college students don’t really get enough sleep,” Weller said. “No one I know of ever gets a full eight hours of sleep like you’re supposed to. So we’re encouraging you to giving you information about sleep.”

In addition, the first 100 people will receive a book for The Sleep Revolution following a survey by the end of the night. The event will be free of charge, so if you need to get away from the thoughts of finals week, then this might be the place to go to.