Army, Air Force arrange formal affair

The University’s Army and Air Force ROTC programs showcased their traditions and comradery at their annual fall military ball.

Army and Air Force cadets were decked out in their formal uniforms and were accompanied by friends, parents, spouses and partners.

“It’s a formal event that we hold,” said Army Recruiting Operations Officer Marilyn De Walt. “It’s just to show (the cadets) what to expect in the Army when we have a formal event.”

David Chilson, a retired University computer science professor and retired Navy captain who has been attending the ball since 1975, said unlike field training, this event is an “evening of celebration and comradery.”

The ball, organized by junior and senior Army cadets, was held in the Union ballroom this past Friday and provided the cadets with an opportunity to participate in a formal military event.

The Army and Air Force cadets alternate between organizing the military ball each fall, and this year was the Army ROTC cadets’ responsibility.

Cadets and their guests went through a reception line where they had the chance to meet honored guests, President Mazey and the guest speaker, Bob Sebo.

Sebo, whose namesake is the Sebo Center next to the Doyt-Perry Stadium, graduated from the University and the University’s ROTC program in 1958 and is a US Army veteran.

As the guest speaker, Sebo discussed leadership.

Sebo said he would be speaking about “leadership and attitude,” and it was an “absolute pleasure” to have the opportunity to speak in front of the University cadets.

And while Sebo focused on student and military leadership, the students who organized the ball focused on traditions.

The honored guests had the opportunity to meet the cadets and their guests in the traditional receiving line and were then welcomed by a saber arch composed of University cadets

After the presentation of the colors and the formal introduction of honored guests, toasts and speeches were given, dinner was served and attendees had another chance to meet people at the ball.

While the students had the opportunity to socialize with both Army and Air Force cadets, they also had the chance to meet officers and University alumni.

“It’s all about socializing, meeting people Army cadets for example,” said Joseph Masson, an Air Force cadet lieutenant colonel from the University of Toledo.

Masson also said the cadets don’t often have the chance to meet high-ranking officials, like the one-star general who attended, so the event presented the rare opportunity to the cadets.

Not only were Army traditions showcased, but overall military traditions as well. One table was left completely empty of guests with all the chairs leaned against the table and the glasses empty.

This table was set to honor the prisoners of war and those missing in action. The five leaning chairs stood for the five branches of the military: Army, Navy, Marines Corps, Coast Guard and Air Force.

“It’s meant to remember those who cannot be here tonight, those who have given everything,” said Masson.

University alumni and staff who were or are in the military also attended and participated in the festivities and provided a chance for veterans to interact with the cadets.

Chilson said it’s an opportunity for the community to see the “commitment that the young men and women are making.”

“For me, it’s an absolute pleasure to be associated with military, both veterans, cadets and active duty folks,” Sebo said.