Trio programs help underepresented students succeed

Trio programs are housed on the third floor of Math Sciences

Low income, first generation students and students with disabilities can face challenges succeeding in college, but students who fall into one or more of these categories find the key to success within TRIO.

“I’m at college and graduating and that’s all because of TRIO programs and their support,” Sara Clark, a senior enrolled in the program, said. 

Clark is enrolled in Student Support Services within the TRIO programs.

Named for its original three programs, TRIO now offers four programs: Educational Talent Search, Upward Bound, Student Support Services and the McNair Scholars program. These programs benefit students from the sixth grade to seniors at the University. 

TRIO is located on the third floor of the Math Sciences building, and all programs are funded through the Department of Education.

The educational talent search and upward bound programs target pre-college students in Toledo offer “opportunities for participants to succeed in their pre-college performance,” Terrie Cook, director of Upward Bound, said.

Upward Bound is funded to support up to 80 high school students within the City of Toledo, and focuses on academic assistance through tutoring and visiting colleges, including a six-week summer residential program at the University. 

Cook is a product of Upward Bound and the TRIO services herself, and Upward Bound has exceeded its objectives of student success all four years she has been director. 

If one of Cook’s students enrolls at the University, he or she automatically qualifies for the SSS program. 

“The purpose of student support services is to recruit students who are admitted to the University who are low-income, first generation or a student with a disability,” Roger Grant, director of Student Support Services, said. Students must also be struggling academically. 

“A lot of people think that our programs are based upon race… they are not based upon race,” Grant said. “They are based upon low income, first generation and students with disability.” 

Special assistance offered by SSS includes advising services, working with the financial aid office, one-to-one tutoring and connecting students with campus and community resources. 

“One could say that we are a microcosm of student affairs,” Grant said. “We are really the connection between the student and the other support services.” 

SSS advisors become knowledgeable about all services available to students, such as the Counseling Center, College Advisors, the Financial Aid office, Disability Services, Study Abroad and the Career Center. 

“Advising is one of the best services here,” Danielle Pierre, a senior in the program, said. “I use advising a whole lot.”

Each semester, SSS hosts a success conference where students can learn more about campus resources and workshop skills to help them succeed at the University.  

Another resource offered to students entering their first year at the University is the summer bridge program, when students in SSS can move onto campus a week early and meet peers and become familiar with campus and its resources

One challenge SSS faces, Grant said, is the poor set-up of the facility in the Math Science building which doesn’t allow for privacy of the students while meeting with advisors and tutors.      

“We got to get into a facility that allows us to close doors,” Grant said.

Grant recently entered his sixth year working at the University, and has been in higher education for most of his career. 

If a TRIO student should wish to pursue post-graduate education, the McNair Scholars program, the fourth and final TRIO program, can be of assistance for a select few students. 

On average, 15 juniors and seniors are enrolled in the McNair Scholars program which prepares students for graduate education. 

“We help them with every single step of the graduate school application,” Tracy Tabaczynski, director of McNair Scholars, said. 

While enrolled in this program, students are provided with undergraduate research experience, which gives them an edge when they begin post-graduate education. Students also receive help preparing for the GRE exam, writing application essays and practicing interviewing. 

Some graduate schools offer discounted application fees and fellowships specifically for McNair scholars. 

The McNair program seeks students who are low income, first generation or come from a group underrepresented at the doctoral level. Students must have at least a 2.9 GPA, have sophomore standing and have an ultimate goal of obtaining a PhD. 

Students interested in SSS or the McNair program can call or stop by the TRIO office, but space in the programs is limited.