University student media nearing major transition

As of the July 6, student media officially ended its term in West Hall.

Leaving West Hall is hard. I can’t count the many memories that have been made in the newsroom even before I was a student.

The only two colleges I had in mind were Ohio University and BGSU. When I toured OU, I was convinced it was the place for me.

That was before I visited The BG News newsroom.

210 West Hall has been my home away from home for the last two years, and if you’ve ever been in there, you know the clutter of decorations covering the walls, the mess of paperwork and books left behind by years of reporters and the computers that seem to never work when you need them too.

It’s all contributed to the building of the reporter that I am and will be when I leave BGSU.

Nonetheless, the reporter in me is still being built, and this move to the Kuhlin Center, formerly South Hall, will continue building who I am and who I will be as a professional journalist after graduation two years from now.

As sad as moving sounds, we are on our way to a new chapter, one that will better prepare our students for their coming journalism careers and bring better news content to our faithful readers. 

As has been mentioned by both organization, The BG News and BG24 News will be converging in the upcoming school year to form one organization—Falcon Media.

With the new organization will come a new website and social media accounts. Both should be rolling out here very soon, so do us a favor and keep your eyes open for the new accounts. Of course we will be keeping you updated throughout the process.

While we are converging, we will still be producing our twice-weekly paper and BG24 will continue newscasts. Now, newscasts will be available to view on the Falcon Media website, and The BG News articles will also be available for reading there.

This transition will give student media participants a better idea of what is to come after graduation as it will better reflect the current setup of the news industry.

I am so excited to help navigate the paper through these changes, and we are working on forming guidelines to bring podcasts, videos and other accompanying multimedia proponents to make your consumption of University and Bowling Green community news easier and more informative.

As we move into the new converged newsroom and organization, there will be an amount of trial and error as we don’t have a lot of other University’s to base the changes on; however, we are confident in the knowledge upper-level management of both The BG News and BG24 have gained through our experiences in classes and student media at BGSU, and we know we will successfully manage the transition.

I want to take the time to thank anyone who has contributed to the paper during its time at West Hall, whether as a professor, mentor, reader, writer, guest columnist or sending in letters to the editor. Every complaint or compliment helps our student reporters grow and learn. We look forward to even more audience interaction with the upcoming changes.

Thank you for continued support in our efforts to bring you news and your patience in the upcoming year as we take a leap into the new era of journalism. I can’t wait to see what great things Falcon Media will accomplish in the near future.