BGSU soccer goes scoreless against Cincinnati

It was a hard fought game for the BGSU mens soccer team as they fell to the University of Cincinnati by a score of 1-0. This is the team’s second loss of the season with both losses coming on the road.  This was also the team’s first game where they didn’t record a single goal.

Early in the first period around the nine-minute mark, UC had a golden opportunity to put BG in a hole early. Following a corner kick, UC’s Frederik Lindqvist composed a clear header shot that looked like it was going in the net. However, BG junior Brad Macomber was in the right spot at the right time and cleared the shot attempt off the goal line. 

A couple minutes later, sophomore Peter Pugliese provided a great shot opportunity after coming up with a steal in UC territory. Unfortunately, Pugliese’s shot sailed wide left and out of play. Shortly after UC’s Elliot Williams header shot attempt was missed, senior Pat Flynn found Tate Robertson towards the left side of the penalty area, but the shot attempt went wide due to a tough shot angle.

Around the 28-minute mark, Flynn came up with a steal and tried to bring it out to the 18-yard mark. Shortly after, Flynn fired a long distance shot from about 20 yards out and it sailed slightly above UC’s Pedro Diaz. Diaz nearly got his line, but was able to recover and get the save for UC.

The Falcons’ final shot of the first period came around the 33-minute mark. Sophomore Vincent Giannini was able to volley the ball into the box where freshmen Tom Wrobel was in good position to take a header shot. The shot was ineffective, as Diaz was in position to record the save. 

UC had one last opportunity before the first period ended as David Sanz was in position for a corner and kicked it towards the middle of the field. BG stout defense prevailed, but a late foul towards the 18-yard mark rewarded UC with a free kick. It resulted being cleared out of the box and it was a tied ball game going into the second half.

In the beginning of the second period, BG quickly got up a shot attempt. It came off a header shot that was deflected in the air by a UC back liner. It then landed right in front of senior Joe Sullivan, who fired a slightly high volley shot, but Diaz was able to make the save for UC.

Around the 10-minute mark, Sullivan and Robertson were setting up a combination play that had Sullivan possessing the ball on the right side of the field. Sullivan slid the ball towards Robertson and fired a shot that sailed high.

The game’s only score came around the 60-minute mark as UC’s Ryan Melink was able to receive a cross pass from teammate Adam Wilson towards the left side of the field towards the far post. Melink was in position at the six-yard line and nailed a sliding volley shot that went in. This gave UC a 1-0 lead and put the pressure on BG to respond.

Around the 63-minute mark, BG looked to do just that following a corner kick by Joe Sullivan. BG was able to win the possession and found sophomore Dominic Grida right in the middle of the field at the 25-yard mark. Grida’s long shot looked like it was about to hit the upper part of the net. However, Diaz was able to tip it at the last second to get his team the save.

After missed corner kicks and scoring opportunities throughout the game, BG’s hopes of tying the game were dwindling. 

With six minutes left, Robert Miller attempted a header shot that sailed wide following a cross pass from a teammate. A minute later, Miller threw a long shot towards freshman Chris Brennan. 

Brennan showed off his footwork and attempted a turnaround shot, but it was quickly blocked. Two minutes later, Peter Pugliese attempted a turnaround shot of his own following another throw-in. The shot was blocked, but Pugliese was able to keep it alive as he saved the ball on the end line. Pugliese then slid a pass towards Pat Flynn, who was standing in the box. 

Flynn’s last attempt was fired towards the low left corner, but an amazing diving save by Diaz kept BG scoreless. Time eventually ran out and UC defended its home field with a victory over BG.

“Winning college soccer games is very tough, especially when you go on the road, it’s even tougher,” BGSU head coach Eric Nichols said. “Full credit goes to Cincinnati, they took care of the ball, managed the game well and got the win.”

Nichols was also asked how the game might have been lost and his thoughts on the team’s overall performance.

“I don’t think we played poorly, but we didn’t do the things we needed to do to get a win,” Nichols said.  “Like I said, it’s tough on to win on the road, but I think we’ll regroup as we head back home.”

BG looks to stay undefeated at home as they host the University of Dayton on Tuesday evening at Cochrane Field.