The “fempire” ushers in a new era

Back in April, I read an article that said Lifetime, the television channel that’s known for damsel in distress programming, was looking to rebrand its image. They wanted the image of women not being able to save themselves and needing a man to do anything and everything to be taken out of their programming. Instead, they wanted to be able to portray women in a better light and to show that women are able to do anything they set their minds to.

They wanted to usher in a new era: the era of the “fempire.”

Even the word sounds amazing.

But it got me thinking: Why does a fempire only have to exist for a TV network? Why can’t a fempire be for the general population?

Oh wait, fempires can be for anyone. Not just for television networks looking to fix their image.

So, why not come up with some basic rules to follow when someone goes to create their fempire?

Of course, not every person in your life can be a part of your fempire. In my mind, it’s a highly selective group of people who should be allowed in your fempire. The members of your fempire are the ones who are going to have a huge say in the big moments that happen in your life. You don’t want to overwhelm yourself with too many opinions.

You also don’t want someone to be a part of your fempire who isn’t going to stick around for the good and for the bad. You want your fempire to be full of your ride or die friends; the friends who are going to hold you up when you’re feeling low and be there to congratulate you when things are going well.

But you also want the members of your fempire to tell you when you’re starting to become a little too full of yourself. You want a variety of yes people and no people in your fempire.

When you create your fempire, make sure that most, if not all, of the members of your fempire are able to get along. Nothing can tear a fempire apart more than an internal struggle between two of your friends.

Above all else, you want to make sure the members of your fempire are people that you can have a good time with, regardless of what you’re actually doing. Just because you’re in a fempire doesn’t mean you have to go out and party all the time. Sometimes, you and your fempire need a night in where you all are wearing pajamas and watching romantic comedies or romantic dramas if you’re just needing a night to relax.

That being said, make sure the members of your fempire are down for the occasional night where you want to go out. After all, what’s better than a night out on the town with the closest people in your life? 

Even if going out isn’t your thing, planning a night where all of you go out for a nice dinner is always a good idea. Of course, a nice dinner can mean anything from burritos at Chipotle (or Qdoba, if that’s your burrito place of choice), to soup and bread at Panera. If you’re feeling really fancy, have a night out at a nicer restaurant. 

Basically, balance is key when it comes to fempires. 

Taylor Swift, you can keep your girl squad. I’m starting my own fempire.

Reply to Lauren at