BGSU mens soccer continues winning streak

BGSU mens soccer blocks Marshall’s attempt at scoring.

It was another dominant performance by the BGSU men’s soccer team as they remain unbeaten following their 3-0 victory over non-conference opponent Marshall. The team got a goal and two assists from their starting lineup and the bench also contributed, giving the team two goals and a couple of assists. 

Marshall kicked many shot attempts to keep the Falcons on their toes. However, freshmen Anthony Mwembia didn’t let the ball hit the net as he recorded an impressive four saves to help preserve the shutout. Marshall also had more corner kicks, but couldn’t convert into goals.

The first scoring play came from senior Joe Sullivan, who had what seemed like a good scoring play earlier, but it was called back due to being offsides. The next attempt proved to be better for Sullivan as freshmen Robert Miller III heaved a long-throw that was put into the penalty area. 

Afterwards, junior Alexis Souahy set up Sullivan with a pass that went directly off Souahy’s head. Sullivan converted from six yards out giving the Universtiy a 1-0 lead that would give them confidence going into the whole night.

“We knew Marshall was a good team coming in, they work hard and focus well on defense, so we had our work cut out for us and I’m glad the team rose to the occasion,” Sullivan said.

The second goal came with two minutes left in the half as junior Keaton Reynolds slid through the ball, while Miller came rushing in and kicked the ball from the right side that eventually hit the lower left corner in the net. This gave the team a commanding 2-0 lead going into intermission.

Marshall had many opportunities to cut the deficit, but they failed to convert as BG defense tightened them up, preventing any easy scoring opportunities. One notable stop was when a corner kick was sailing towards the upper right corner, but senior Jacob Roth rose above and knocked it away.

The final goal came from freshmen Chris Brennan which came off a wonderful assist by senior Pat Flynn. Brennan found himself all alone after getting a pass from Flynn and knocked it in with ease. The Falcons performed well under the lights giving the crowd something to cheer for.

Head coach Eric Nichols was pleased with the performance and poise, despite Marshall’s push and pace.

“Marshall presented a lot of challenges and presented a lot of chances at goals, but we stayed locked despite their pushing and probing. We were tight and compact and this is one of our best performances,” Nichols said.

Nichols also commented on the team’s depth and how confident he is in how this team can put up points. He also wanted to give credit to Mwembia’s defense and hustle.

“We got a lot of guys that want to score at will and I know as the games go on, I’m confident some other players will score. (Mwembia) made some critical stops for us and we know how good he is as he frustrates us in practice, so it’s great to see him do that,” Nicholas said.

The Falcons will be on the road to take on their next opponent at Cleveland State University on Wednesday at 7 p.m. 

Nichols gave a little insight on what to expect come Wednesday, as this will be their first road game of the season.

“Cleveland State is good, so this will be a challenge for us and I feel that myself and the team are up for the challenge going on the road to their place,” Nichols said.