Mazey speaks on freshman class at State of the University Address

President of the University Mary Ellen Mazey presented the State of the University Address in the Donnell Theatre in the Wolfe Center Friday. 

“We need to be nimble and be able to change with the environment and what is happening,” David Levey, Board of Trustees chair, said as he set the tone for Mazey’s address.

Mazey thanked students, faculty, alumni and state executives and administrators such as Governor John Kasich and Randy Gardner, chair of the Senate Higher Education Finance Committee.

She highlighted the University’s recent rankings, including the University’s place on Money Magazine’s list of Best Value Colleges, the online Master of Science in Criminal Justice’s rank as the number one online master program by College Choice and SICSIC’s recognition by the Chronicle of Higher Education.

“With these rankings we transform ourselves with greater recognition of BGSU throughout the state, across country and around the world,” Mazey said.

This year’s theme for the State of the University Address was “collaboration and transformation” to continue furthering the University’s vision of innovation, Mazey said.

This fall marks the University’s third consecutive year admitting the most academically prepared class. This year’s freshman class has an average ACT of 22.8 and GPA of 3.42, Mazey said. The 274 freshmen in the Honors College have a 28.38 average ACT and a 4.05 average GPA. Enrollment in the University’s Honors College, formerly the Honors Program, has nearly doubled since 2012.

“Last fall, our retention of freshmen to sophomores increased to 77.5 percent, which was three percentage points above the previous year…This year, it appears that our retention rate will be 76 percent, but we can do better. We must all work on achieving our goal of 80 percent retention for the fall of 2017, and I am confident we can reach this goal,” Mazey said.

New bachelor degree subjects offered by the University include Allied Health, Forensic Science, Biology and Philosophy, Politics, Economics and Law.

Mazey said there are several key ways the University caters to specific needs of students through online courses, programs that serve veterans and the Falcon Express Dual Admissions program with Owens Community College. The University also recently signed on with Lorain County Community College to create another dual admissions program.

Mazey reported that enrollment in graduate programs increased 11 percent and external funding increased for the first time in five years by 13 percent.

The opening of the Collaboration Laboratory, or Collab-Lab, coming this spring in the Jerome Library, Mazey announced.

“The lab, led by Jerry Schnepp, will build the spirit of entrepreneurship across campus and link with many partners in the public, nonprofit and private sectors,” Mazey said.

Mazey spoke about collaboration through University partnerships with Wood County Hospital, First Solar and Cedar Fair. Academic partnerships exist with Owens Community College, University of Toledo, University of Findlay, Lorain County Community College and Northeast Ohio Medical University.

Mazey touched on the University’s global engagement through partnerships with universities in 23 countries including Italy, Belgium, United Arab Emirates, Norway, Turkey, Japan, England, France, Austria and China.

“We currently have 1,028 international students enrolled at BGSU. Our international students enrich our campus and community. Our goal is to increase the number of international students at BGSU and ensure they have a supportive environment that leads to lifetime success,” Mazey said.

University efforts to create a community of diversity and inclusion include its involvement with Not in Our Town, the It’s On Us Campaign and participation in the Stonewall Columbus Pride Festival and Parade.

“Over the past year, we worked with eight historically black colleges and universities to recruit graduate students and established graduate student recruitment with McNair Scholars programs in the Northwest Ohio Region,” Mazey said.

In regards to the Master Plan, Mazey boasted about the many recent improvements and renovations around campus. These include the demolition of Johnston Hall and construction of a new parking lot at the Bowen-Thompson Student Union, renovations to the Health and Human Services building, upgrades to the Doyt Perry Stadium, construction of the Greek Village and the complete renovation of the new Kuhlin Center.

Mazey wrapped up the address by asking everyone to work with the administration, each other and others outside of the University to ensure the accomplishment of the goals of this year and years beyond.

“In addition, I ask each unit on campus to have a strategic plan that aligns with the vision, mission, core values and goals of the University Strategic Plan…Then each day, ask yourself and others what you are doing to implement your unit’s plan? … Have a productive semester and academic year. Again, I appreciate all you do to build BGSU’s future,” Mazey concluded.