Fall Television Preview

Fall is great for many reasons, but possibly the best reason is because most broadcast TV shows return to television. In addition to the returning shows, there’s also a whole host of new shows that come on the air as well.

What Looks Good:The Good Place,” NBC “The Good Place” has so much promise in it, especially in terms of on and off-screen star power. Kristen Bell and Ted Danson are the two stars and Mike Schur, who created NBC comedy greats “The Office” and “Parks and Recreation,” created the show.

This Is Us,” NBC Similar to “The Good Place,” “This Is Us” has star power on and off-screen, with Milo Ventimiglia, Mandy Moore and Sterling K. Brown, who’s fresh off his Emmy-nominated performance in “The People vs. O.J. Simpson,” among others, star in the show and the show was created by same guy who did “Crazy Stupid Love,” meaning it’s going to make you laugh and cry, possibly at the same time.

Designated Survivor,” ABC Kiefer Sutherland in a non-Jack Bauer role? Yes, please. Sutherland stars as a low-ranking cabinet member who becomes the new president after a series of unfortunate events. Plus, Italia Ricci is a supporting cast member and she’s been posting behind-the-scenes.

Pure Genius,” CBS “Pure Genius” gives off major “Parenthood” vibes during its promo, which makes sense since it’s produced by Jason Katims, the genius behind “Friday Night Lights” and “Parenthood.” So, if “Pure Genius” can get a dedicated fan-following and critical praise like Katims’ other two shows, I think “Pure Genius” might be around for awhile.

What Looks Okay:Bull,” CBS Michael Weatherly makes his return to CBS after just having left “NCIS” in new show “Bull,” which is a very loose interpretation of

Dr. Phil’s pre-talk show days where he

was a trial analysist. Maybe this one is a

day-after watch.

Speechless,” ABC This new Minnie Driver comedy gets points for using an actual disabled actor in a role where a character has cerebral palsy, especially at a time where casting choices that executives make are under constant scrutiny. Other than that, that’s kind of all that sticks out in the promos.

Notorious,” ABC “Notorious” is a placeholder for “Scandal” since production was delayed because Kerry Washington’s having a baby and it’s not being written into her storyline. That being said, giving “Notorious” the same timeslot as “Scandal” can either be a blessing or a curse.  It’s got a great lead-in with “Grey’s Anatomy” so maybe the “Grey’s” viewers will transfer over to the new show.

What’s Best to Skip:Man With a Plan,” CBS Matt LeBlanc’s new comedy has one thing going for it: it’s not the failed “Friends” spin-off “Joey.” Other than that, it seems generally unimpressive and LeBlanc’s character is less than developed based on the promos.

Son of Zorn,” Fox “Son of Zorn” is getting a prime post-football and post-“The Simpsons” timeslot, but I’m curious to see whether people will tune in for the mixture of both animated and live action show. Most of Fox’s comedies that air Sunday nights haven’t done well in recent years, even with help from 

“The Simpsons” and football.