Construction projects at different stages

University Hall is to be completed in Fall 2017.

As students start classes this week, they will notice a few newly finished projects around campus and at least one project still in full swing.

Changes to the Bowen-Thompson Studet Union were recently finished, including the move of the Career Center and Student Employment Services offices to the second floor. Both offices are now located in room 225, above the newly renovated Falcon Outfitters. 

The new location of these offices, previously located in the Math Sciences building, was decided to allow students easier access to resources. Students can also find new lounge and meeting spaces in the Union.

Falcon Outfitters, located on the first floor of the Union, has been completely renovated. Students can shop for school supplies, University gear and visit Ziggabyte, the technology shop located in Falcon Outfitters. 

The biggest change for students is that textbooks cannot be purchased in person at Falcon Outfitters. Students will still be able to rent and purchase textbooks from the University, but must do so online.

The online process has not changed. To order textbooks through the University, students should log into the Student Center through MyBGSU, choose Class Schedule, the semester desired and select “Book List.” Students can compare prices of their textbooks with companies like Amazon and Chegg and add books to their cart. Students will be notified by email when their books arrive and can pick up textbooks at the package center, currently located in the multipurpose room of the Union. After the initial rush of packages that occurs during the beginning of the semester, the package center will move inside of Falcon Outfitters on Sept. 15.

Although students can enjoy the benefits of the finished projects in the Union, Moseley and University Halls will be under construction for one more year, opening for the fall of 2017. Renovations began on the buildings in Feb. 2016.

Renovations to look forward to in Moseley Hall include new chemistry, biology, anatomy, physiology, geology and medical laboratory science classrooms for first- and second-year students. Moseley Hall will once again house the screens, as the building was originally used as an agriculture building, and its purpose will return to the sciences.

In a construction update video posted in July, Assistant Director of Design and Construction Brian Swope said the “intent of the Board of Trustees is, on the outside, it will look like a very traditional Moseley Hall.” Students can expect innovative technology in the new labs and classrooms while the exterior maintains its one-hundred-year-old visual appeal.

University Hall will remain as the grand building on campus and maintain its appearance as the original University building, built in 1910. The building will house six active learning classrooms along with “Pre-Academic and Academic Planning, Center for Community & Civic Engagement, Learning Communities, ACTION, AIMS, COSMOS (and) International Programs and Partnerships,” said Swope.

The entire second floor of University Hall will house Admissions. 

In a construction video update posted earlier this month, Cecilia Castellano, vice provost for Strategic Enrollment Planning in the office of Academic Operations, said the aim of the new admissions is to “make the student feel like ‘Wow, this is a place that I belong.’” 

Her hope is that the new office of admissions will help assure students that the University will live up to its full potential for every student.

The biggest exterior change to either of the buildings is the absence of the theater formerly located on the east side of University Hall. Kristi Hafer, a project manager for University Hall, said in a BG News video in June that the space left by its absence will be filled by a new entrance that, when designed, “kept with the feel of the building, but added a lot of light into the space.”

Other work completed this summer includes the new Kuhlin Center, a state-of-the-art facility for the School of Media and Communication; the Greek Housing units, which will house roughly 400 students; and improvements to the Doyt Perry Stadium, including upgrades to its structure, waterproofing and new turf. 

Hanna Hall, attached to University Hall by a breezeway, is yet to have any planned date of construction.