Wicks and Gordon enter state representative race

Tim Brown’s recent resignation from his Ohio House of Representation seat has created a whirlwind of new conversation for the November election.

Two prominent men in the community, City Councilman Daniel Gordon and Grounds for Thought Owner Kelly Wicks, have their eyes set on the open Ohio House of Representatives seat.

The Democratic Central Committee will vote Thursday on which of the two will be the state representative candidate to go forward onto the official ballot for the Democratic party. It is possible that other applications have been submitted to the committee, but none have been made public.

After Brown, a Republican, announced his resignation as representative to take a position as president of the Toledo Metropolitan Area Council of Governments, someone will be appointed to finish his term, but the election in November to permanently fill the seat for District Three will see both a Republican and Democrat candidate.

The Democratic party had a candidate in line, but David Walters made comment about dropping off the ballot.

Gordon was the first to commit to the race as of last Monday. He has been a member of Bowling Green city council for five years, and has focused on better living conditions for the community.

“This is not something that has just sprung up quickly for me,” Gordon said.

He said he’s had a team together for a while, and they’re just waiting for the go ahead after Thursday’s vote.

Gordon feels confident in the coming vote with 54 elected officials across the country, both past and present, endorsing him for the position. Many of the endorsements have come from politicians within the Bowling Green and Perrysburg areas particularly.

Gordon acknowledged his accomplishments as a multi-term, five-year councilman with an extensive background in public policy and a demonstrated record of winning office and having many accomplishments in office.

Some of those accomplishments include reversing the effects of “decades of government neglect” of members of the Bowling Green Community.

As a prospective nominee for the House, Gordon wants to work for small communities.

“The top thing really is stopping and reversing the cuts to local communities that Columbus has inflicted on us,” he said.

Wicks has also had a community focus during his time as a small business owner in Bowling Green for 27 years. He’s also played a large and leading role in the formation and planning of the downtown Black Swamp Arts Festival.

He decided to officially run after hearing of Brown’s resignation and receiving the support of close friends and family.

Wicks has been politically active within the community as well. Most recently, he ran for mayor of Bowling Green, losing by only around 500 votes, and he also ran for the same House of Representative position in 2012.

He said his experience running for Representative gives him the advantage of knowing how to take a 12 month campaign and shrink it down to fit into the three month block before the vote in November.

“I believe I really have a lot to offer as a leader in Columbus,” Wicks said.

Wicks focus for potentially holding office will be on his four categories in which he is the strongest advocate: small business and economic growth, public education, transportation and infrastructure.

On the Republican side of the court, Perrysburg Township Trustee and Commercial Real Estate Developer Bob Mack was rumored to run for the position, but announced Monday morning that he would not be participating in the election, according to the BG Independent News website.

No other Republicans have expressed interest in candidacy for the position, but both parties have until Aug. 15 to file official candidates with the Wood County Board of Elections.