Womens basketball wins third straight game

Shermon Bruce
The Falcon Womens basketball team won 73-46 against the Senators.

A big night for senior center Abby Siefker as she helped her team get the victory by recording a double-double in a 73-46 win against the Davis and Elkins Senators on Wednesday night at the Stroh Center. This was the third straight win for the BGSU women’s basketball team.

Siefker finished with 17 points, 13 rebounds, and three assists. Also chipping in for the Falcons was sophomore guard Carly Santoro, who finished with 11 points, 7 rebounds, and also was actively defensively with two steals.

It was no doubt a quick start for Siefker, who got touches early in the paint in the first quarter. She recorded a quick six points by having a big size advantage, which allowed her to get offensive rebounds and second chance points for her team.

“We wanted to play inside and out, to play as more of a team,” said Siefker. “We knew we had a big size advantage and we really been doing a pretty good of rebounding all year so that was definitely a huge key.”

Both teams traded baskets for the first six minutes of the game until a big layup by Siefker got them out to an 11-8 lead. Davis and Elkins’ responded quickly by nailing a couple of three pointers and a layup. However, Carly Santoro and Maddie Cole would hit big shots towards the end of the period to give them a narrow 21-18 lead going into the second quarter.

In the second quarter, sophomore guard Sydney Lambert stepped in quickly and provided a spark offense by scoring eight points through the first five minutes of the game. The Falcons ended up scoring 19 points in the second quarter and played tight defense towards the perimeter as Davis and Elkin’s recorded just eight points. BG went into the half with a substantial lead at 40-26.

The sizeable lead got bigger as BG got off to an 8-2 run in the first five minutes of the second half and gave the Falcons a huge lead at 48-28. However, the Senators were able get good ball movement and separation and that resulted in them going on a 10-5 run the rest of the game. The Falcons still lead going into the final quarter with a 55-38 lead.

In the final quarter, BG would go on an 8-1 run highlighted by Siefker and Santoro to give their team a comfortable margin at 63-39. The Falcons took advantage of many late Davis and Elkin’s turnovers and in the end helped cruise to a 27-point victory. All 12 players on the Falcons scored, which gave Coach Roos something to smile about afterwards.

“Overall, I’m pleased with the effort and everybody scored,” said Roos. “We had seven different kids hit a three and outrebounding them, but we finally limited our turnovers which is what we’ve been talking a lot about doing. This is a very talented Davis and Elkins team and we had a good overall team win.

The BG women’s team will look to keep their winning streak going as they host the Virginia Cavaliers on Sunday afternoon beginning at 2 p.m. at the Stroh Center.