Students recognize role models

Students had the opportunity to show appreciation to people who have impacted their lives yesterday at the Women’s Center’s seventh annual “Bring Your Favorite Prof/Mentor to Lunch,” the final event of Women’s History Month.

Mary Krueger, Director of the Women’s Center, said professors usually don’t get any kind of formal feedback from their students outside of the end of semester surveys. It gives professors the chance to learn that they have an impact on someone, she said.

“The luncheon is a great opportunity for students to say thank you to the people who have made a difference in their lives,” Krueger said.

When it began, the event was originally only for students and professors but was later expanded to include coaches and mentors as well, Krueger said.

Christine Woodworth, a doctoral student at the University, brought her professor, Lisa Wylam, to the luncheon. Woodworth first met Wylam before she was a student because Wylam was the graduate coordinator at the University. Since then, Woodworth has been in at least one of Wylam’s classes every semester. Woodworth said she considers Wylam a mentor because she has offered guidance and support.

“She supported and encouraged my work, introduced me to other scholars in my field and been very available to help, which is not always the case with graduate faculty,” Woodworth said.

Wylam shares equal respect for Woodworth and was excited to have been invited to the luncheon for the second time by Woodworth.

“I am especially flattered because she is such an incredible young scholar,” Wylam said. “Having someone so talented look up to me is an honor.”

One professor, Rodhika Gajjala, was invited to the luncheon by two of her students, Melissa Altman and Maria DeRose.

Altman, a graduate student at the University, said she considers Gajjala a mentor because she has been a guide and resource for her with her research. DeRose, also a graduate student, agreed with Altman and said that Gajjala helped her get through the dissertation process.

“I think she is one of the smartest, most talented people I know. I couldn’t have done my dissertation with out her,” DeRose said.

In addition to being a professor and mentor, Altman and DeRose described Gajjala as their cheerleader, sanity keeper, biggest fan and a friend, which is what they said impacted them the most.