Falcons run past most of Ohio

The Bowling Green women’s track team took advantage of this weekend’s beautiful weather, racing to a third place finish with 92 points in the weekend’s All-Ohio Championships hosted by Ohio State. Mid-American Conference foe Akron won the meet with 197 points while Ohio State finished in second with 126 points.

“We couldn’t have asked for a better day as far as the weather was concerned,” head coach Scott Sehmann said. “Friday started off real weel for us, we had some nice PRs.”

The Falcons had two champions in the meet and many personal best performances. Thrower Kerri McClung continued her consistent dominance in the shot put, winning the event with a throw of 50 feet.

The Falcons other champion was Stephanie Hillman, who captured the 10,000 meter crown in 37.24.84 after posting negative splits.

“[Assistant coach Cami] Wells had a good feeling that the longer the race was going to be, the better Stephanie would do. [Her performance] is a nice sign of good things to come in the future for her,” Sehmann said.

Sprinter Jessica White also has a strong meet, finishing fourth in the 100 meters in 12.12 and fifth in the 200 meters in 24.64.

Middle distance runner Melissa Krueger added 6 points for the Falcons, finishing third in the 1500 meter run. Teammate Jamie Roflow took sixth in the 1500.

The 400 meter relay team placed second in that event with a time of 47. 58.

Veronica Vance led the jumpers, placing third in the triple jump and fourth in the long jump.

Andi Bunko added six more points with a third place throw of 40.33 meters in the javelin.

“I thought this was our best team effort of the year across the board,” Sehmann said. “We had a lot of contributions from all areas and some nice PR’s.”

Some of the Falcon track athletes will compete in next weekend’s Twilight Invitational hosted by Eastern Michigan. Sixteen to 17 athletes who feel the need to compete or better their times will travel to this weekend’s meet which was recently added to the schedule, Sehmann said. The team’s next scheduled meet is the Drake Relays on Thursday, April 28 in Des Moines.