A new day, a new cancellation

After a weekend of inclement weather followed by rain and a scheduling change, the Falcon baseball team will once again not be playing ball.

Today’s game against Xavier has been canceled due to conflicting schedules for a large portion of the team.

BG was supposed to host the Musketeers at Steller Field this afternoon, but with the heavy rain that has fallen the last two days, and is expected to continue, the game was moved to Cincinnati in hopes of getting a game in for the Falcons for the first time since Wednesday.

With exams coming up next week and classes finishing up this week, nearly half of the team would have been unable to make the game.

The cancellation also delays Falcons coach Danny Schmitz’s attempt to become the first coach in BG history to achieve 400 career wins and just the eighth coach in MAC baseball history to do so. In his 15-year career, Schmitz has a record of 399-355-4.

Although Schmitz is on the verge of BG history, his top priority is to get his team back on the diamond.

“I really haven’t had a lot of time to think about (the record),” he said. “Right now, with Mother Nature not cooperating, my assistant coach Todd Brown has been scrambling trying to find us a game … so that’s where our thought process is at this point in time.”

“If and when 400 happens, I’m sure at some point I’ll sit back and look at it and I guess relish the accomplishment, but it still boils down to just being that I’ve been here 15 years. I feel very fortunate to be part of the Falcon family for that amount of time and we’ve had some very good players come through the program as well as assistant coaches.”

Schmitz will get his next shot at 400 this weekend, if weather allows it, when BG hosts IPFW on Saturday and Sunday. The game on Saturday would be the Falcons’ first game in 10 days.