New comic film is ‘sin’tilating fun

Grade: A-

Graphic visuals and content fill the screen of “Sin City,” a creative exercise in escapism full of dirty deeds and colorful characters … well, sort of colorful.

Most of the film is in black and white with splashes of color.

The always creative and economical Robert Rodriguez (“El Mariachi”) gets “shot and cut” credits while giving first billing to his co-director, Frank Miller, who also created and wrote the “Sin City” graphic novels.

Quentin Tarantino is also credited as a special guest director.

Filmmakers only make two noticeable mistakes — a choppy edit where Marv’s superimposed landing on a staircase doesn’t match and a water pier shot where you can tell Junior’s carrying a dummy instead of an 11-year-old girl.

Bruce Willis impresses as seasoned detective John Hartigan. But it’s Mickey Rourke who steals the show, as the seasoned gladiator Marv. He prefers “the hard goodbye” as he kills his way to truth after he’s set up by some crooked city officials.

If you think Marv is bad, then you’ll be shocked at this antagonistic group including performances from Elijah Wood, Benicio Del Toro and Nick Stahl as “Junior.”

Gail, played by Rosario Dawson, and Nancy, played by Jessica Alba, show great resolve on their own while complimenting the male leads during key plot points.

Clive Owen plays Dwight, a layered protagonist, who reveals his connections and past digressions as the plot continues.

Appearances from Josh Hartnett, Jaime King, Carla Gugino, Michael Clarke Duncan and Brittany Murphy also factor into the plot.

This film is full of great sound, visual style (great silhouettes and lighting contrast) and music including contributions from composer John Debney (“Spider-Man 2,” “The Passion of the Christ”) and even Rodriguez himself.

An amazing experience, especially if you’ve seen the original printed material.