Professor shares decades of experience

Only two bronze age ship wrecks have ever been excavated, and George Bass has been involved in the discovery and exploration of both.

The Texas A’M professor emeritus shared his decades of experience and enthusiasm for the field of nautical archeology with University students Monday evening. “The greatest pieces of history have come from the sea,” said Bass.

He outlined the important roles oversea trade has played throughout history, pointing out that without ships, Australia would have never been populated and the Greek and Roman civilizations would have starved.

“Continents have been discovered, supplied and explored through the use of ships,” Bass said. He pointed out that it is because of these crucial tasks performed by ships that their exploration is so important.

“Everything that has been made in human history has been on a ship,” Bass said.

Because the wreckage found beneath the waves has been impossible to disturb until recent times, its original properties have been preserved. These accurate historical indicators have allowed Bass to clarify ancient texts and refute inaccurate claims made by other scientists.

“I could see that there were flaws being put into history books,” Bass said.

The two wrecks which date from 1300 and 1200 B.C. were located by sponge divers and have verified tales told by the Greek philosopher Homer whose accuracy in his accounts of Middle Eastern trade ships was once questioned.

The cargo discovered by Bass, who had only strapped on a scuba tank the day before he set out on the first expedition, consisted largely of several tons of copper and tin ingots.

“The cargo was not terribly attractive,” said Bass.

While not traditional luxury goods, the discovery of these raw materials revealed the truth in Homer’s words, and cemented Bass’ own views on the interrelatedness of classic Mediterranean civilizations.

These were not to be the only questions answered or doubts raised by Bass’ work.

The discovery of hippopotamus teeth led to a re-analysis of ivory sculptures once assumed to be crafted from elephant tusks. The excavation of the ship’s physical construction was of particular interest to Bass.

“We wanted to see the hull to see what sort of ship Helen’s face launched a thousand of against Troy,” Bass said. What the vessel revealed was an original form of construction which had never before been verified.

While the discoveries made by Bass’ team are now above the waves and on display in Turkey’s most popular museum, he reassured listeners that the surface of nautical archeology had only been scratched by his team.

“There is always something new to discover,” Bass said.

On a nostalgic trip to the original site, Bass uncovered more artifacts that were overlooked by the original expedition. The number of undiscovered wrecks are numerous as well.

“Seventy percent of all wooden hulls built have sank,” Bass revealed, giving hope to the prospective nautical archeologists in his audience.