Badenhop leads BG past Buffalo

Senior Burke Badenhop pitched a complete game shutout and had nine strikeouts as the Bowling Green baseball team defeated Buffalo 1-0 at Steller Field yesterday.

Badenhop got off to an early start by striking out the first three batters he faced in the first inning. Badenhop said he knew the Bulls were a good fastball hitting team so he tried to throw them off by using his other pitches.

“My changeup was pretty good and my slider was even better,” Badenhop said. “I threw eight innings against them last year and I remember a lot of breaking balls is what got them out. Today I was able to hit my spots and mix it up.”

Badenhop now holds the best record in the Mid-American Conference at 6-1 and is tied for the team lead in strikeouts with Alan Brech (34).

“(Badenhop) has great stuff,” Falcons head coach Danny Schmitz said. “When he’s aggressive he’s among the best in the league, so we want him to stay aggressive at all times.”

While Badenhop was able to stay aggressive on the mound for the Falcons, BG hitters struggled at the plate with a total of five hits all game. But in the bottom of the first inning the Falcons had a chance to blow the game wide open.

After BG second baseman Eric Lawson led off the first inning with a double to right field, Bulls pitcher Matt Johnson loaded the bases with a pair of walks. Johnson then walked senior Andy Hudak which scored Lawson for the Falcons only run of the game.

But Johnson retired the next three hitters to get out of the inning and from then shut down the Falcons, giving up just four hits and one walk the rest of the game.

With strong outings from both pitchers, it all came down to who made the fewest mistakes. That first inning proved to be the dagger for Johnson and allowed the Falcons to come away with the victory.

“(Buffalo’s) pitcher did a good job,” Schmitz said. “Thank God Burke (Badenhop) came out on top.”

After defeating Buffalo 7-1 on Friday and losing to them 6-4 on Saturday, the Falcons (20-8, 5-4 MAC) were able to get the victory in the deciding game and have now won their second straight MAC series. With the loss, Buffalo drops to 11-14 overall and 1-3 in the MAC.

The Falcons travel to South Bend, Ind. for a battle with the Fighting Irish tomorrow. First pitch is scheduled for 5:05 p.m.