Falcons looking to recover from Notre Dame loss and get bats working again

No matter how much the Falcons ‘bats have slowed down of late, the baseball season presents enough games and action to step out of their slump at any time.

After falling 14-2 at Notre Dame on Tuesday, this weekend’s three-game series at Mid-American Conference rival Northern Illinois may be just what the lineup is looking for.

NIU’s pitching staff has struggled all season, which has been a key component in their rather pathetic 8-20 start to the year, including 0-6 in MAC play.

The team has posted a 6.26 earned run average to this point, and has allowed opponents to hit a staggering .337 against the Huskies arms. NIU, who has lost four straight games and is coming off an 8-7 loss at Iowa Wednesday, has not found a consistent pitcher to go to in virtually any part of the game.

Starter Nick Hall has logged a team-high 42 innings pitched, yet his 6.21 ERA and 59 hits allowed are hardly the kind of numbers that follow the ace of the staff.

The recent inconsistency at the plate for BG has not been a reoccurring problem as the Falcons are still hitting .303 as a team, which has guided BG to a 20-9 record and 5-4 in the MAC. It has only served as a gleaming problem in their recent five-game stretch that has seen BG drop three after coming off a six-game winning streak to catapult them toward the top of the MAC.

The Falcons have scored just six runs in its last three games, two of which were losses.

However, there is little reason to panic due to the middle of the lineup, which can strike quickly and has been consistent for most of the year.

Nolan Reimold is a candidate for MAC Player of the Year as he is hitting .327 with a team-high 12 homeruns and 39 RBIs. First baseman Andy Hudak has served as the most steady and clutch bat for the Falcons, hitting .375 with four homers and 30 RBIs. Josh Stewart has also put together a breakout year swinging the bat with a .344 batting average, four homeruns and 21 RBIs.

The Falcons, whose pitching staff has been up and down for most of the year, will send out left-hander Alan Brech to pitch Friday’s game. Brech has put together a solid year and has a team-best ERA of 2.34 to go along with a 4-1 record.

On Saturday, lefty Keith Laughlin (2-2, 4.70, 25 K’s) will take the hill for BG. Sunday’s starter is to be determined.

Friday’s game will begin at 3 p.m., and both Saturday and Sunday’s game will start at 1 p.m.